New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to run 10.5 and 10.6 on same machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering about adding 10.5 to one of these machines. It is for the purpose of testing new software that currently does NOT work on 10.5. I've seen here that sometimes putting 10.5 on a machine that shipped with 10.6 might not work. I would like to have both OS's, but if I can only have 10.5 and dedicate this machine for testing on that OS, that might work, too.

What would be the best way to do this if at all?

It's this machine - PC Connection - Detail

- 2.4GHz Intel Intel Core 2 Duo / 2GB DDR3 SDRAM / 320GB hard drive / SuperDrive
- NVIDIA GeForce 320M / Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR, IEEE 802.11n (draft)

As always, TIA!

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm not totally sure "which machines" you're referring to ...other than the Mac-mini indicated in the "PC Connection".

That Mac-mini (the newest Mac mini) in the link has a minimum OS of 10.6.4...which generally means that you cannot install an OS older than the shipping OS...especially if you were talking about loading OS 10.5 onto a computer that originally shipped with 10.6.

There is a way of doing what you want to do (have a computer with OS 10.5 & 10.6 available to you)...but you have to do it with an older Intel based Macintosh computer (most likely a used one) that originally shipped with OS 10.4 or 10.5.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I'm not totally sure "which machines" you're referring to ...other than the Mac-mini indicated in the "PC Connection".
- Nick
I see that my question was confusing, I have several of these Mac-mini's. Just want to install 10.5 on ONE of them.

Thank you for info!

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not saying it can't be done, but I've not seen any positive comments related to installing 10.5 on a machine that shipped with 10.6.

You could test it out by installing 10.5 to an external attached to one of them without touching the current OS.

Think I still have my SuperDuper! backups from 10.4 & 10.5 sitting on an external here for when I need to experiment or help out with those OSs. But, as pigoo suggested, it's a machine that shipped with Tiger.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Even on my MBP that shipped with 10.6.3, I couldn't use my 10.6.0 retail install disc when wanting to reinstall my software after some troubleshooting.

As for booting off a clone of an earlier system, that I haven't tried.
I'd be interested to see what bobtomay's experiment brings up, although I suspect that it wouldn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcronin View Post
I see that my question was confusing, I have several of these Mac-mini's. Just want to install 10.5 on ONE of them.
Are you saying that you have several of the newest Mac-mini's...or slightly older Mac-mini's?

Like I mentioned...generally speaking you cannot install an OS version older than the one that shipped with the computer...or at least not be able to do it without some compatibility problems.

If you have the newest Mac-mini's...they shipped with OS 10.6.4. Even if you owned 1000 of these Mac-mini's...and only wanted to install OS 10.5 on one of them...it still doesn't matter & it still doesn't change the rules.

But I don't want to say that it's absolutely positively 100% impossible to do it...so do like "Bobtomay" I think was suggesting...and try to install 10.5 on one of your Mac-mini's (assuming you have a 10.5 install disc).

You will know soon enough if it's possible or not. If it's not possible...you're back to my suggestion of buying an older Intel based Macintosh that shipped with either 10.4 or 10.5...then you would be able to do what you want (have OS 10.5 & 10.6 available to you on a single computer).

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am trying to find the reference to be sure but I don't think this can be done. If, for example a mac ships with 10.6.4 as the installed OS then that is usually the minimum OS that machine will accept.

If you can do it you will probably need to erase the hard drive before beginning the installation. If I remember correctly the installer will not put an older OS on a drive/partition that contains a more recent version.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

A little experiment, just to play around with this concept.
I'm gonna try to erase my HD on this MBP that shipped with 10.6.3 and try to install the retail 10.6.0.
Off memory, it wouldn't even let me boot to the 10.6.0 disc when I tried in the past to go to disk utilities and erase the HD.
If that's the case, I will boot from my clone with the 10.6.0 disc inserted, erase the HD, and try to select the 10.6.0 disc to boot from, and if it lets me, attempt the installation.
Will post back with the results as soon as I'm done
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
A little experiment, just to play around with this concept.
I'm gonna try to erase my HD on this MBP that shipped with 10.6.3 and try to install the retail 10.6.0.
Now that's what I call going the extra mile.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Ok.... here are the results:

-The Mac would not boot holding C, but just sat on the white screen with the grey apple logo, with no spinning gear.

-Holding option while restarting brings up the install disc as a bootable option, but when selecting it results in the same as above.

-Booting from the clone, erasing the HD, restarting holding option, resulted in the same once again, leaving me at having to restart holding option once more, and booting off the clone once again (which is how I am now typing this)

Conclusion:
Anyway you go about it, an older OS than the one that your Mac shipped with will not boot, and therefore, will not install.

Now, that we've cleared that up, I'm going to go and restore my HD
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

Wow, way to go above and beyond. Thank you so much everyone. I'm much obliged.

Becky
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Ok.... here are the results:

-The Mac would not boot holding C, but just sat on the white screen with the grey apple logo, with no spinning gear.

-Holding option while restarting brings up the install disc as a bootable option, but when selecting it results in the same as above.

-Booting from the clone, erasing the HD, restarting holding option, resulted in the same once again, leaving me at having to restart holding option once more, and booting off the clone once again (which is how I am now typing this)

Conclusion:
Anyway you go about it, an older OS than the one that your Mac shipped with will not boot, and therefore, will not install.
Nice job 6string!!!

You were trying to install 10.6.0 on a MBP that shipped with 10.6.3. I would suggest (for the OP's benefit) that the older the OS someone try's to install on a Mac (below it's minimum shipping OS) the even more incompatibility someone will run into.

Since the OP wants to install some version of OS 10.5 on the newest Mac-mini (that has a minimum/shipping OS of 10.6.4)...trying to install 10.5 would be even that much more difficult (or even impossible).

Again great job!,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
6string

LOL ....just after I did my last time machine backup, downloaded and installed 10.6.5, and forgot to update the backup before I ran all of the above, and had to download and install it over again
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

And even if it did install may cause some confusion for the poor machine. Only way would be on different hard drives, doubt partitions would help a great deal. Problem is if machine came with Snow Leopard, Leopard just would not have correct dfrivers to complete, or even commence, an install.

Bit more difficult that the old OS 9.2.2 and Jaguar running side bhy side on the same drive eh?
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

This all really helpful. Thank yo again folks!

Becky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Re-installing OS and copying files back via Time Machine | MacOSX Snow Leopard problems »