New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Having lots of slowing issues.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikeyk

Mikeyk is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I'm about as noob and green as it gets with my Macbook. I use it for internet, music, pics and that's mostly it.

I have had a couple issues recently and am completely lost.

I have been running Epson printers on this for the last year and a half and have never had this issue. All of a sudden I get "Epson Printer Monitor" randomly starting. I have no printer hooked up and have never had an issue with just unplugging the printer. It seems like part of the general slowing happens with this.

The other part...

I have noticed I have a "slow" OS now. I mean slow. I only have Firefox, Itunes, and thats usually it running. After a look through the Activity monitor I noticed I have these programs using gig's of virtual memory. Is this right? Over a gig to run Firefox or Itunes?

I did a scan with macscan and it got rid of a bunch of spyware that was found and it ran great for about one day.

Now what?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the noob-ness.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyk View Post
After a look through the Activity monitor I noticed I have these programs using gig's of virtual memory. Is this right? Over a gig to run Firefox or Itunes?
No, that is not normal. iTunes is using 68.3MB and I just opened Firefox and it's using 89.1MB (it did just open though). Try quitting the applications and opening them again.

Could you post a picture of Activity Monitor for us? In case you don't know how, push Command-Shift-4 and then push spacebar. Your cursor should turn into a camera. Click the AM window and the screenshot will be saved on the desktop.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeyk

As far as the memory goes I have plenty of space on the hard drive and have always tried to keep some free. I did notice at points I would have little to no memory and I never had this problem before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52015264@N02/5156428707/
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

You're looking at the wrong column. The amount of memory an application is using can be found in the "real memory" column. As you can see in that picture, you have 1.19GB free out of a total of 2GB.

Take a look at this and this (the second is only useful if you want more detailed info on virtual memory).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeyk

So this is all normal then? What would cause the Epson Print monitor to randomly start up then?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Another program may be opening it. Let me give you an example: I had set up alarms in iCal once and to email out the reminders, it would try to do so through Mail. I didn't know this at the time so to me, it appeared that Mail was randomly trying to open itself. I eventually figured out that it was iCal doing it but at the time I thought my Mac was possessed.

Is there any app that may be opening it? Do you notice it happening at a specific time or regular interval? Does it only happen when certain applications are open(ed)? Is it in your login items ( > System Preferences > Accounts > click your user > Login Items)?

QUOTE Thanks
Mikeyk

Nope. Not under log in items. It seems random but I'll pay a little more attention to it.

The only thing i can think of is it has been doing it since the last time I printed a document. I have always just shut off the printer and pulled the plug out. Not ejected it through the computer.

Could that have something to do with it?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Indeed. Quit the Epson Printer Utility.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Frozen browser! | Installing fresh Snow Leopard »