New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX 10.6 Screensaver won't lock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jay13

Jay13 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have to confess that I have been playing around with security here. I created a hidden admin account (one that does not appear in System Preferences / Accounts), there is now a small problem. No matter what account I use (hidden or otherwise) and no matter what I set in Security WRT requiring a password after sleep or screensaver a password is no longer required. FYI I used the following to hide the user:

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Hide500Users -bool TRUE
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array myadmin
/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

I have also ensured that auto-login is not enabled - when i shutdown/reboot I still have to log in.

It may have nothing to do with it but I thought it was worth a mention. Any ideas out there?
QUOTE Thanks
Jay13

Jay13 is on a distinguished road

OK - so mystery solved.. sort of.

Up to this point I had tried a number of different things. I had rebooted.. logged in and out with the 2 accounts (one hidden) and changed the screensaver/security settings back and forth with no luck. Then I posted to this forum as a last resort; I hate being beat.

Just after I did that I thought of one thing I hadn't previously tried. So I created a new, standard user account (ie not admin) and logged in with that. To my amazement I was able to lock my screen with the screensaver. I logged out and back in with my own account and bingo! The screensaver lock was restored. I'd really like to find out what went on there but I am afraid I will never find out. As per the original post any ideas on that would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting Folder (Help needed!) | iMovie 11 »