New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Constant crashes and kernel panics after update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blackmoondev

blackmoondev is on a distinguished road

Hi

I was using a MBP with Snow Leopard for last few years - recently I bought new MBP and used most recent TimeMachine backup to recreate my work space on the new mac (freshly from the shop). Everything went fine for a week - until I decided it's time to update the system. After updating Snow Leopard to version 10.6.4 two things started to happen:
- all the apps are crashing randomly (it could be any application - Safari, Firefox, Photoshop, iTunes - you name it). All the crash raports have "Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread" information.
- there are kernel panic screen from time to time, where I need to reboot the whole system.

I searched the forums and boards and so far tried:
- deleting all InputManagers from my Library
- fixing permissions using Disk Utility
- creating new user account
- turning off the file sharing
- doing the memory tests (with Remeber app and by using Install Dvd and pressing D during start-up). Both test didn't show anything

Well - the only thing I didn't tried yet is to reinstall the whole system, but I was wondering if you know any other possible solution to the problem.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Try running the 10.6.4 Combo updater from Apple's site to see if that fixes it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
blackmoondev

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Try running the 10.6.4 Combo updater from Apple's site to see if that fixes it.
I forget to add that - I already did the Combo update. Didn't help
QUOTE Thanks
blackmoondev

I also tried going into safe mode and restarting from there - didn't helped.
I think I'll go for the re-install.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If the combo update didn't help, then your best solution at least for now is a complete reinstall. Also best to reinstall the apps as well. Data and documents can be restored from backup as they should be OK.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmoondev

I did reinstall the system (leaving my user folder) - it didn't solve the problem (so it's not really 10.6.4 issue as I have 10.6.3 right now). And that's not the problem with my user setting - as the same problem occurs on another user account. Any ideas what might cause the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Probably a hardware issue. It's best to take it in to have someone look at it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Just a quick question for you. Did you add any RAM recently to the MBP?

If no, I agree with Schweb, take it in to Apple and show them what it's doing.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmoondev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just a quick question for you. Did you add any RAM recently to the MBP?

If no, I agree with Schweb, take it in to Apple and show them what it's doing.
I bought it a week ago - and yes, the RAM was upgraded by the reseller.
I tried clean install today (erase the disk and run the installer), but the installer itself crashed three times.
I figure out that this must be hardware problem and send the mac to reseller for them to check it.
I'll update this thread when I'll get any feedback from them.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Is this reseller a certified Apple store? If not maybe the RAM is the issue. Sure sounds like a hardware issue to me.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmoondev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Is this reseller a certified Apple store? If not maybe the RAM is the issue. Sure sounds like a hardware issue to me.
Yes, it's certified Apple store. Well - we'll see what they'll tell about it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard drive not detected | Os x startup problems »