New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger Not Working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lacgullason

lacgullason is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.42 mhz processor 1 gb ram, G4 Processor, 60 GB hard drive running tiger, iPod Nano G5, iPod 2&5 G

Hello
A few days ago my friend was using my computer. I turned it on later and nothing worked. It boots up with the apple logo and chimes and and eventually goes to the login screen. From here everything disapeer's. I am left with a Blue background with a black cursor. Please help. i don't know what to do.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Boot from the OS installation disc and use Disk Utility to Repair the disk.

(Put the disc in, hold down the C key and let it boot.)
QUOTE Thanks
lacgullason

Mac Specs: 1.42 mhz processor 1 gb ram, G4 Processor, 60 GB hard drive running tiger, iPod Nano G5, iPod 2&5 G

i Have tried that already. It will bypass it ... i dont know why
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Instead of holding down the C key, press the "Option" key instead and choose the Tiger DVD to boot from. Once booted from the DVD, run Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And after you repair the disk, or maybe even do a format and clean install keep you 'friend' away from your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacgullason View Post
i Have tried that already.
On my list of forum pet peeves, this is #2. If you tell us what you've already tried in the first place, we won't tell you to try something that has failed to help!

(#1 is stupid thread titles, where stupid = not descriptive of the post's content - you know, like the headline of an article)
QUOTE Thanks
lacgullason

Hey everyone unfortunatley none of your guys's advice worked i tried booting holding C and booting hold OPTION and when i hold C nothing happens, when i hold OPTION i get a blue screen that looks like OS9 and a harddrive with an X CD i click on it and once again nothing happens.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You click on the OSX DVD icon then on the blue arrow to the right.
QUOTE Thanks
lacgullason

i do that and all it does is bring me back to the start up menu and does the same thing
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Then it sounds like your optical drive is not reading the OSX DVD. Is the DVD clean?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac not connecting to wireless network | Boot Camp Question »