New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Reformatting Mac OS X - - iLife Included?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zimbeck

zimbeck is on a distinguished road

Hi

I'm about to reformat my Macbook Pro and reinstall Mac OS X Leopard onto the laptop. I want to make sure that when I reformat the hard drive, apps such as iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, etc etc will still be available.

Here's where I am:
When I get to the "Select a Destination" Where I want to install Mac OS X window, I select the hard drive I'm about to format. I click options and choose "Erase and Install" and formatting disk as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". I click continue and before I hit the Install button, I thought to look at the Customize window to see what is going to install by default.

This is what is selected by default:
Essential System Software, Printer Drivers, Additional Fonts, Language Translations, X11, and Bundled Applications. In the Bundled Applications check box, there is no check mark, instead there is a minus symbol. The only 'bundled application' that will automatically install is "CPU Help Files." The iWeb, GarageBand, iDVD, iPhoto, and iMovie are grayed out and without any check marks.

I have two Mac OS X Installation Discs (Disc 1 and Disc 2). Is there another CD that I'm missing or will those apps be included in Disc 2? I want to make sure I'll still have those apps. Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
willmeahl4

willmeahl4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.

iLife is a separate disc. Not included with OS X unless you purchased the Mac box set.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The apps are on one of the two discs that come with your machine (can't remember which one right now).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
zimbeck

zimbeck is on a distinguished road

Here are the two Discs that I have - none of which say 'Applications DVD' or anything like that. Also attached are the options I have when I pop in Disc 1 or Disc 2.

I purchased the Macbook Pro that had iLife already built into it. Why wouldn't they include a CD though in case I need to reformat it?! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20101024_150623.jpg (979.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Install Disc 1.png (106.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Install Disc 2.png (23.7 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbeck View Post
I purchased the Macbook Pro that had iLife already built into it. Why wouldn't they include a CD though in case I need to reformat it?! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The apps are on one of the two discs that come with your machine (can't remember which one right now).
The apps are on disc one as "bundled software."

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

iPhoto, Garageband etc etc are included in the ilife package, which is separate from the OSX install dvds, have to buy it separately!

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbeck View Post
Hi

I'm about to reformat my Macbook Pro and reinstall Mac OS X Leopard onto the laptop. I want to make sure that when I reformat the hard drive, apps such as iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, etc etc will still be available.
I guess my question is "why?". A lot of us long time Windows users are accustomed to this ritual of maintenance reinstalls to clear up the cobwebs. In almost all cases, it's just not necessary with a UNIX-based OS. There is no registry and seldom is the base OS modified in any significant way (aside from regular system updates). Almost any "freshening" can be done simply by creating a new user account and deleting the old.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Quote:
The apps are on disc one as "bundled software."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
iPhoto, Garageband etc etc are included in the ilife package, which is separate from the OSX install dvds, have to buy it separately!
I suggest you take a look at the discs that came with your machine.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal commands getting error messages. | 'About This Mac' Issue »