New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Disk needs to be repaired - don't have OS X install disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickhurditch

nickhurditch is on a distinguished road

Hi All

My Macbook with snowleopard has been running really slowly recently and so I verified the disk using disk utility. It told me that "The volume was found to be corrupt and needs to be repaired".
I however, am overseas studying in Spain and so don't have my OS X install disk with me...I don't fancy buying a new one, nor waiting the 2 weeks for my parents to send it from Australia...is there any other way to do it without the original disk?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You can try running fsck, as this will check most things that disk utility does.
Google, or use our search engine to find instructions on how.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
nickhurditch

nickhurditch is on a distinguished road

ok thanks - although apple support says fsck is not recommended and disk utility is preferred? Or should i just ignore that and do it?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Well you can't use disk utility properly without an install disc, so yes, ignore their advice.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strange slowdown | Moving Thumbnails in Finder - Inconsistant View »