New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Removing bogus startup disk option

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stereodan98

stereodan98 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
I installed Windows with boot camp, but now when I hold down option to choose a startup option, three drives appear instead of two: Macintosh HD, WINDOWS, and WINDOWS again. One of the WINDOWS drives is bogus; clicking on it leads to a "no operating system found" DOS error and reboot. It's driving me nuts having a dummy option just hanging out there, I just want two simple options that both work. How can I delete the dummy option?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I believe (although not used personally) that you can go into bootcamp assistant> advanced option, and delete the bogus option from there, let me know, if not then i'll have a look into it for you

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
stereodan98

where are you seeing "advanced options?" I only see a click-through guide to set up Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Go into System preferences > Startup Disk and see what is recorded there.
QUOTE Thanks
stereodan98

There is "Mac OSX" on drive 'Macintosh HD,' then WINDOWS on drive 'BOOTCAMP' and then WINDOWS on 'disk 2'. The last one is the one that doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Which version of Windows did you install? Was it XP by chance? Post back and we can go from there...
QUOTE Thanks
stereodan98

It was indeed XP. I've tried both Home and Corporate editions and they both have this same problem, I think it's a mainly OSX/Boot Camp issue.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Do you by chance have a flash drive or any other drive attached to the Mac when you're dual booting between OS X and XP? That will sometimes confuse the boot loader into thinking there is an additional boot option.

Also, I'm assuming your hard drive is divided into two partitions: MacIntosh HD and Boot Camp. If you have a third partition on the drive that may get the boot loader to think there is another boot option.

The reason I asked in the last post if you were running XP is because I've seen this same thing several times but only when running XP. It does not happen with Vista and so far not with Win 7 either.
QUOTE Thanks
stereodan98

No flash drives, no partitions either. The drive is a separate disk altogether.

edit: in retrospect, I think I know what it is. It's the small partition the XP installer creates to load the installer software for the first restart. So it has bootloader information and maybe is thus being recognized. I'm not sure how to delete it though.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

As a suggestion, move the Computer/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist file to the Trash, empty, and log out of and then into your account and see if that makes a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereodan98 View Post
No flash drives, no partitions either. The drive is a separate disk altogether.

edit: in retrospect, I think I know what it is. It's the small partition the XP installer creates to load the installer software for the first restart. So it has bootloader information and maybe is thus being recognized. I'm not sure how to delete it though.
That's strange. It should have been deleted on the second reboot during the installation process. Can you actually see it from the Windows file explorer and does it have a drive letter assigned to it? If it does, we can safely delete it. But we have to first make sure that XP is not actually booting from there.

Take a close look at your "boot.ini" file (system hidden in root of C) and pay close attention to what it says. The file is a text file and can be read with notepad. That file contains the boot loader information.
QUOTE Thanks
stereodan98

Deleting the preferences file didn't do it unfortunately.

I may have been wrong about the partition assumption. There is a partition, however it is the GPT partition required by Windows to run, and cannot be deleted...no separate drive letter, invisible in Windows explorer. Therefore I don't think it's what's causing the bogus boot loader option.

I am familiar with the boot.ini file, and it only has the one correct configuration.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK. That leaves us with the possibility of a bad partition table. And really, the only way to clear that error is to wipe everything clean and start over. That includes your Snow Leopard partition.

What you can do (if you want to go thru all that trouble) is make a clone backup of your Snow Leopard partition or use Time Machine. Then download and use the free "WinClone" to make a backup image of your Win XP partition.

Boot with your SL DVD, use Disk Utility to remove the partitions and erase the drive. Reinstall and use your Time Machine backup. Afterward, create a new partition for XP using the BC assistant, and then restore XP from the WinClone image. Lots of work and always a chance of something going wrong in the process.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Files in my trash that I didn't put there. | Copy/Pasting to and from a Java Applet »