New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Rename Home Folder or is there another way

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LunchBox

LunchBox is on a distinguished road

Greetings,

I am a tech at a company with many windows boxes about 5 Macs.

I use my windows experience to troubleshoot Mac issues (just starting to learn and so far so good).

Anyways, I have a user who has problem saving files or opening files. The files take a lot longer then they should. Mainly the files are Adobe Illustrator. (located on the network)

If I or anyone else logs into the Mac those files open and save as they should.

The problematic user currently runs Snow Leopard (with all the updates) but used to run Leopard. One of my co-worker used time machine to backup the users files etc. I think something happened and something got corrupted.

I have googled and done quite a few things but nothing has worked yet.

The Macs are joined to a windows domain.

In the windows world to test my theory I would rename the users profile (same as the Home Folder) that is cached in the PC and when the user logs back in it would re-create the profile (home folder) with a new one from scratch. If my theory proves right I would then move only the files back into the profile folder (home folder).

Can this be done in a Mac as I would in windows? I did find how to rename the home folder but I do not know if it actually has the same purpose as what I would do in windows.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

If it works fine with other user logons, delete the problematic user, create a new one and name it slightly different (just to be sure nothing is attached to the profile name). If you have a Time Machine backup of all essential data, then once the new user is up and running you can restore your apps, media, data, etc. from Time Machine.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
LunchBox

LunchBox is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the quick response.

The user is tied to a windows domain/active directory account so the user ID I can't really delete. But, renaming the Home Folder would be what I would like to do.

If I rename the Home Folder and then the user logs in will the process create a new Home Folder with fresh settings for the user? or will it use the renamed Home Folder?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

From Mac Help:

Quote:
About the home folder

The home folder stores your personal information. A home folder is created for each user of your computer when his or her account is set up. The home folder isn’t actually named “Home”; its name is the same as the user’s short name as specified in the user account. If you are the only user of your computer, there is only one user account and one home folder.

To see your home folder, click the Finder icon in the Dock. Then in the sidebar on the left side of the window, click your home folder—the one with a house icon.

The folders inside your home folder are set up to make it easy to find various types of files on your computer:

Desktop: The files and folders that appear on your desktop.

Documents: Most files you save on your computer, such as text documents.

Downloads: Files you download from a local network, the web, or other source.

Library: Files used by the Mac OS and your applications, including your personal fonts and preferences.

Movies: Your digital movies.

Music: Your digital music files, including MP3 and AAC files used by iTunes.

Pictures: Your digital photos.

Public: Files you want to make available to other users on your network.

Sites: Webpages for hosting your personal websites.

You can’t change the name of a home folder. If you want to use a different short user name, you must create a new user account (this requires administrator privileges). You can then move items from your previous home folder to your new home folder if you wish.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change language | Clock/Firewall »