New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook Pro 13" 4 Gigs Ram Freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xXDirektorXx

xXDirektorXx is on a distinguished road

I'm not quite sure this is the exact section I should post in, because I think it qualifies to fit in multiple sections.

Here's the issue:

I bought my Macbook Pro back in July, it was a graduation present from my parents. It's the 13" model, but the RAM was upgraded to 4 Gigs, because I do a lot of photo/video work. Last week my computer froze up, but not instantly. It waits until you've booted all the way into the desktop, then would freeze - mouse pointer and all.

Sometimes, it will kill my internet first. Then I'll shut of my Macbook Pro's airport, and attempt to turn it back on, but it doesn't. The button clicks but it doesn't do anything. Not even the rainbow wheel. Doesn't freeze, just doesn't work. Then when I try and open another program it freezes.

I searched google for answers (once I rebooted), and many of them came from this website. So I've been trying to figure out how to fix it, but haven't been able to, which is why I signed up.

What I've done so far:

I ran the Disk Utility tool, as that was the most common fix for a lot of problems. It came back with a whole slew of things wrong, so I put in my install disk, booted to it, and tried to "repair disk". This only froze my computer, and then wouldn't let me reboot. So...

I've formatted my harddrive. I put the handful of files I needed on a flash drive before I tried the disk utility, then I completely reformated the whole thing.

I reinstalled Snow Leopard, and created my account, etc. Then it froze. I searched around again and read that resetting your pRAM helps, so I did that. It's still freezing.

Obviously it doesn't freeze all the time, as I'm using it right now. However, I need my notebook for an internship I'm doing right now, as well as a future job offer coming up.

Here's a picture of what my Disk Utility looks like when I run disk repairs. I can't figure out how to make the text completely show, so if someone wants to do that I can post the actual messages of what it's saying.

Edit: When I booted up a minute ago, the start up sound chimed about 18 times. I had to manually hold down the button several times. Please help me =(
QUOTE Thanks
xXDirektorXx

xXDirektorXx is on a distinguished road

I ended up having to take my Macbook into the Apple store, and they replaced my harddrive, RAM, and motherboard. I don't think even they knew what was wrong with it. So for anyone who finds this post through google, or searching the forum, you've gotta replace everything. Ha.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro identity swap | Setting Photoshop as default image viewer »