New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

System Preferences shows no pref panes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tachyon

Hello

Recently I was in a situation using 10.1.5 where the System Preferences showed no panes.

After trying all the steps on Apple's knowledgebase, it was suggested that I create a new user...
Except with no Preference Panes how can one do that? Is there a UNIX command in the terminal, or does one need to use Netinfo Manager?

--tachyon
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Here is a script from OSXFAQ.COM that will allow you to add users via the terminal. I guess it's not possible otherwise for security reasons.

Adduser Script from OSXFAQ.COM

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

you can if you restart in single user mode, but the same can be done in the terminal command line.. ive never heard of all the panes disappearing

QUOTE Thanks
gatorparrots

The script from OS X FAQ is buggy and incomplete. This one is much better:
http://www.macfora.com/forums/showthread.p...=&threadid=8858

But really, you need a solution to your problem of no visible preference panes, rather than using the command line to create a new user. Try deleting this file and see if it cures your problem:
"/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist"
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Have you tried to press "open apple + L"? that will show all catagories, or you will run into a whole list of the system panes.

Theres also another trick you could try...

Macintosh HD/System/Library/PreferencePanes copy them into users/usernames/library/PreferencePanes you may need to create that last folder, make sure its exact to the one in system. Then log-out and back in.. or restart. (restart is always my fav option)

if that doesn't work.. you'll have to either reinstal OSX or try that root UNIX dealie.
QUOTE Thanks
tachyon

By the way, the person that had this problem ended up fixing it by getting the upgrade to OS X 10.2, so I never got to try out any of those suggestions. But thanks for the help, they were more sensible than Apple's own suggestions.

After looking at some of those scripts I see why there is no Unix command that I was looking for. All those permissions to be set up!
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

stick around. We've got alot to offer.
QUOTE Thanks
AstralZenith

Quote:
Originally posted by tachyon@Feb 20 2003, 05:49 PM
Hello

Recently I was in a situation using 10.1.5 where the System Preferences showed no panes.

--tachyon
well i would say upgrade to 10.2... but somehow i dont think thats what you want

EDIT: i didnt read 2 posts above, and now i cant delete this thing
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning out my system.... | Rad E8 and Snow. E2 Update »