New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Paste into a document

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marjori

marjori is on a distinguished road

In my OLD Windows, there was a NOTEPAD utility so that if, for example, I want to copy a web page but not all the images, etc I could hilite what I want, copy and then paste into NOTEPAD. I gues in MAC Snow Leapord I could use Stickies for this function, but is there another place I can go to get something like a document into which I can paste? I WILL NOT use MS Office products and I do use OPEN OFFICE but it's a bit slow.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Text Edit. Look in your Applications folder.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you're using Safari, just select an area of the page and choose
Safari > Services > New TextEdit Window Containing Selection

(If the "New TextEdit Window Containing Selection" item does not appear when you make a selection, open Services preferences and make sure it's checked in the list.)

Also, you may want to get the shift keys on your keyboard checked out by Apple. You seem to be capitalizing words at random in your post.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post

(If the "New TextEdit Window Containing Selection" item does not appear when you make a selection, open Services preferences and make sure it's checked in the list.)
Excellent point - Services is available in all web browsers by the way. I just tried this in Google Chrome and it works there. I have actually started using MacJournal for all my note taking/clipping needs and there is a service for that. I can also set a hotkey to do the clip into MacJournal. There are several journaling/notebook apps out there including Circus Ponies Notebook that could be used for the same thing. I used to just clip stuff into Stickes and RTFD files but found it got unwieldy managing.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Actually, that's Safari > Services > TextEdit > New Window Containing Selection (in OS 10.5.8 anyway)

Good tip though. I've never used this, but it could come in handy some day.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Services is available in all web browsers by the way. I just tried this in Google Chrome and it works there.
It may or may not. It seems to be flakier on other browsers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Actually, that's Safari > Services > TextEdit > New Window Containing Selection (in OS 10.5.8 anyway)
Yes, it's different under Snow Leopard. 10.6.x cleaned up and simplified the Services menu a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
It may or may not. It seems to be flakier on other browsers.
Dunno - it seems that if the service is enabled it shows up in all my browsers. I tried it in Camino, Opera, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox and the service is there when text is selected. What makes you say it is flaky? It seems that services has been pretty consistent for me throughout many applications.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Dunno - it seems that if the service is enabled it shows up in all my browsers. I tried it in Camino, Opera, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox and the service is there when text is selected. What makes you say it is flaky? It seems that services has been pretty consistent for me throughout many applications.
When I use it from Firefox in Snow Leopard, I get a message (from TextEdit) that says,
Quote:
There might be an internal error or a performance problem, or the source application may be providing text of invalid type in the service request. Please try the operation a second time. If that doesn’t work, copy/paste the selection into TextEdit.
Oddly, it works fairly well on my Leopard machine.

From Chrome, the service does not appear. [EDIT: This fixed itself when I updated to Chrome 7. Now I get unstyled text, like Opera, which is fine.]

From Opera, I get plain, unstyled text with no links or images.

In Safari, it works fine (Styled text, links, and graphics.)

Like I said, your mileage may vary. Services support is usually good for OS X applications. Ports of Windows apps usually have lousy Services support.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FINDER : Album and Artist Information for arranging MP3s and Audio Files in Finder ?? | Keyboard shortcuts »