New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Downloading and opening files w/o saving

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jagotti

jagotti is on a distinguished road

Is there a way to download a file (a pdf, excel file, etc) from a web browser without it saving to the computer? In Firefox, there's an option to open or save the file but both choices save it.

I believe in Windows you have to option to open files without saving them which is what I'd like to do.

I put this in the OS X support category b/c it seems like it happens with any web browser and I'm thinking maybe it's an OS X thing. Any suggestions on how to get around having each file saved to the computer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using OS 10.6.4.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Once you download anything.... you have saved it onto your computer, regardless of the OS or browser!
So, what you want is to save downloads to your desktop, and then trash them once you are done.
QUOTE Thanks
jagotti

jagotti is on a distinguished road

OK i found a solution when using Firefox. Go to Firefox Preferences>General. Under Save Files click the Choose button. Do a command shift G and type /tmp and then hit enter. That will make the default download location a a tmp folder so the files will save there but you don't have to keep seeing them and deleting them. I believe the tmp folder clears itself out after a while.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Merging partitions with disk utility | school issued MBP said to be mine after graduation... »