Snow Leopard Installation Taking Hours...
    My sister and I just installed a new 500GB HD in her aluminum iMac. We did so, because dude at the Apple store tried to install Snow Leopard for us on it and it kept failing. So, he said the HD was failing and we needed a new one and it would cost $400.

Not wanting to pay $400, we did it ourselves for $54.

Everything went swimmingly during installation. Then I connected my powerbook to the iMac and got it into target disc mode.

From Disc Utility on my powerbook I formatted the new HD with a GUID partition. That went great.

Next I put the new Snow Leopard installation disc in, and told it to install on the new HD I just formatted. It said it expected to take 3 hours...

...well, its taking a lot longer than that. Now, like 6 hours later, it is hanging in "less than a minute". I fear it is not going well.

What did I do wrong? What should I do to right this?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I'm a little confused as to why a powerbook needs to be involved in the installation of Snow Leopard on an iMac?
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    ^^ I am guessing because he had to format the new drive somehow, and target disc mode would be the only way as there is no current OS on the drive.
    As for the problem at hand it's hard to say. I would quit, re-format just to be sure and try again (that's if the problem is still valid).
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    ^^ I am guessing because he had to format the new drive somehow, and target disc mode would be the only way as there is no current OS on the drive.
    As for the problem at hand it's hard to say. I would quit, re-format just to be sure and try again (that's if the problem is still valid).
    No it's not. >_>" You can do it by using your Restore disk or retail copy of Mac OSX and format through disk utility.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Agree with Crimson. There is no reason for the OP to use Target Disk mode unless he/she is not telling us the complete story.

Thread Information