New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

DMG files launch Disk Utility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

koesherbacon

koesherbacon is on a distinguished road

This is probably a question that can be quickly answered, but I can't find any information about this even with my Google-Fu.

Before today, whenever I would double-click a .dmg file, it would automatically mount to the desktop. Now, when I double-click them, instead they open Disk Utility (from Utilities) and I have to mount them manually.

Any idea why this happened? How do I get it back to the default setting where they automatically mount without opening Disk Utility?

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What version of OSX? It might help someone help you.

This should work for you no matter which OSX you are running. Find a DMG, Right click (Control-Click if you have no right click) and on Get Info. Look toward the bottom of that window. You should see Open with. I will bet yours says Disk Utility. Click the clicker and change that to DiskImageMounter. Also click the Change All button below that.

Let us know if that solves is. Somehow it's been changed to open with Disk Utility when a DMG is clicked on instead of the Disk Image Mounter. Don't forget the Change All button.

Below is how it should look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dm.jpg (111.6 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacForever

MacForever is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 Tower

I have the same problem with my 10.4 and it says < no mounting platform>, i know im close, just cannot open dmg since i did disc install.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you getting that error after changing the settings so that DMGs open with DiskImageMounter?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacForever

yes, and i also get (codec overrun)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Could be that the dmg is corrupt. Try re-downloading it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
MacForever

i've tried it with firefox and many other things also i tried taking firewall off.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Once again MacForever, PLEASE stick with your original threads regarding your ongoing issues.
Don't cross post, start new threads, or bring up old threads with your same ongoing issues.
Sure, if you have a solution, and you see another thread where you can offer that solution, great, otherwise, you are only making it very difficult for the moderators to manage these forums!

Can't download anything anymore
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New bought Macbook pro, OS keeps freezing. Bad sector ? | Lion »