New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Stuck at Gray Screen with Apple Logo and swirling circle. Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRe90

JRe90 is on a distinguished road

I was cleaning out some files and documents I didn't use on my Macbook to free up space. After that I noticed my internet wasn't working with either Firefox or Safari but the Wifi was connected, so I restarted the comp. Now the loading gray screen with Apple Logo is where I'm at. I already tried to start in safe mode but it didn't work. I also do not have the boot disc.

I don't know if i accidentally deleted something or what? But if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It seems that you might have accidentally deleted some files that are required by the system. The only way you're going to recover now is to do an archive and install. But, you're going to need your original recovery install disk. If you don't have one, you'll need to purchase a new set or call Apple customer support and ask them to send you a replacement. They may or may not charge you.
QUOTE Thanks
JRe90

I'm getting a copy from a friend so hopefully it fixes my problem.
I can backup my system on a external hard drive correct?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

The install set of DVDs has to be specific for your machine or a retail set. If it doesn't meet that criteria it won't work. And yes, you can backup to an external hard drive. Also, Apple does not license OS X to be installed on more than one machine unless the family pack is purchased. So be sure to buy your own set.
QUOTE Thanks
JRe90

Thankfully the cd restored my mac, I was worried for a bit.
Could someone tell me how to backup my system to a DVD? I tried googling it but just came by alot of timemachine and timecapsule results. I have software I pay good money for and would hate for a crash to happen again
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Backing up to DVDs is of course possible, but believe me you don't want to backup that way... It not only takes a month of Sundays but if one DVD out of the set has an error, the whole backup set is worthless. Been there, done that.

My advice is buy a nice large external drive, format it to the Mac standard HFS Extended Journaled file system and use Time Machine to make the backup.
QUOTE Thanks
JRe90

Are these instructions the way?
How to Convert an External Hard Drive From NTFS | eHow.com

and should I also convert my flash drives to journaled or is that just needed for hard drives?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems after OS upgrade to snow leopard | unix executable to jpg? »