New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Rumors and Newbie Me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe is on a distinguished road

Obviously, rumors are rampant about what Apple is planning for next week. I have become an Apple fanatic after 2 decades with Microsoft. I am a newbie since April. I am curious. I won't quote anyone. I just don't have a personal data base of my own. If one of the things that happens next week turns out to be an update to the Mac operating system, what would you expect something like that to cost for someone who is updating as opposed to someone buying a new machine with it installed. I used to buy those not frequent enough changes to the Windows OS and remember what they cost. I am trying to prepare myself monetarily as this is likely to come at Christmas time and be something I would want to do. I will add it to my list for Santa Jobs. Oops, Santa Claus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Considering we are only at OS X.6.4 (10.6.4).
I suspect there will be a few more updates to Snow Leopard before we see Lion? - OS X.7.0 (10.7.0)
Rumours are rumours, and Apple OSs tend to be a lot cheaper than Microsoft releases.
Keep in mind that it will been in developers hands for quite some time until it is released!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgeyjoe View Post
Obviously, rumors are rampant about what Apple is planning for next week. I have become an Apple fanatic after 2 decades with Microsoft. I am a newbie since April. I am curious. I won't quote anyone. I just don't have a personal data base of my own. If one of the things that happens next week turns out to be an update to the Mac operating system, what would you expect something like that to cost for someone who is updating as opposed to someone buying a new machine with it installed.
1. There is absolutely, positively, I-give-you-my-word ZERO chance of a paid update to the Mac coming on October 20th of this year. So the question is moot. Steve is likely to talk about 10.7 a bit, yes, but it's far off enough that talking about it now won't hurt sales of Snow Leopard, so that puts it at least nine months out if not longer. Also, the developers haven't even gotten a WHIFF of anything to do with 10.7, so I'd say we're talking a year at least.

2. There's no way to answer your question about price either. Most paid OS X upgrades have been priced at $129, but 10.1 was free and 10.6 is $29. So whatever "tradition" there might have been over the last decade is gone now.

If you're saving your money for an Apple goodie, your best bet for Oct 20th is a new iLife and/or iWork suite. IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the insights. Having not experienced these things with Apple before, I am collecting experiential data, and it sounds like these rumors are like demos in the video game world, something to keep you hanging around until the real thing shows up! I will invest my extra bucks in glow in the dark underwear!! Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD Renamed Itself | Almost out of disk space »