New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can you burn a backup copy of Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bleujaegel

I'm trying to burn a backup copy of OS X, and it fails verification every time. Do the DVD and CD have copy protection? I tried both, but I can burn an image of other CD's fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

OS X 10.4 has a copy protection built into the OS, meaning you can burn a copy under 10.2 and 10.3 but not if Tiger is installed on the machine doing the copying.

Get a pc friend to burn a backup,...
QUOTE Thanks
bleujaegel

So if I'm on 10.3, there's no copy protection? I can burn 10.3 on a 10.3 machine?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yep, that shouldn't be a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bleujaegel

I've tried 2 different DVD burners, an Aopen and a Lite-on. Both are brand new. Neither will burn the Mac OS X dvd. It appears successful, but when it verifies, it gives a 'Mismatch at byte 1802/sector 83456. Verification failed' in Toast Titanium 6.1.1. I've tried burning a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD +RW, and different brands, but always this **** error. I've wasted at least 12 disks. Have you heard of this problem? Is the Mac and Toast super picky about what brand of media and drive you use?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Not really, although some disks do work better than others...

Have you tried to see if the disk will install anyway? Sometimes verification fails although the disk is actually okay.

Is the original disk scratch & dirt free?
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Copied from another forum
Hope it helps.

1. Insert the 10.4 Install DVD

2. Open Disk Utility, and select the DVD from the list in the pane on the left (select the DVD icon on top)

3. In DU, go to the File menu and select New > Disk Image from disk1

4. Choose to format the disk image as DVD/CD Master, name the disk image and click Save.

5. When the .cdr file is created, do a Get Info on it and lock the file. Locking the file prevents invisible files from being created on the disc when it is burned. These files may affect bootability of the back up disc. (Thanks, Red Dwarf.)

6. Choose the .cdr file in the left hand pane of the DU window, click Burn, and insert a new, blank DVD.

Following these steps, you should have a bootable copy of your 10.4 Install DVD.
Best.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
bleujaegel

The Burn option in the Disk Utility is greyed out, even after I put in a new blank disc and try to burn. I have to use Toast 6, and even after following your directions up until burning, I still the the Mismatch at Byte xxx Sector xxxxxx. Verification failed error when burning with Toast. In Toast, I select 'Copy', then 'Image file'. I load the file, and burn it as DVD. I can't find any other way in Toast to burn an image file. Ughhh.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Get a pc friend to burn it?
QUOTE Thanks
bleujaegel

Well, I finally bought a Mac to try it out. I wanted to find out for myself what the benefits of using a Mac are. So far, I cannot update from 10.3.3 to 10.3.9 successfully. I cannot even update to 10.3.8 combo successfully. I still cannot burn a DVD successfully. Even after using 2 different DVD burners and 5 different types and brands of media. It's very disheartening to say the least. Such simple things that are never a problem in Windows... I will struggle on through to solve these problems one way or another, but I thank everyone for their help. Long live the Mac. Now if I can just get it working right.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have you tried to download the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9 and install it?

That will bring you up to OS X 10.3.9. It appears that you are talking about two difference situations here. Making a back up copy of OS X, is not updating it.

At least that is what I am reading here.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Ok, first off:

Is this a brand new mac? Or is it a used mac that had an old 10.3 installation on it? If that's the case I'd consider starting from a clean installation, as the bugs you're experiencing certainly aren't normal...
As for backing up, I'd recommend using a dedicated backup-app to make an image to burn to DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Ok, first off:

Is this a brand new mac? Or is it a used mac that had an old 10.3 installation on it? If that's the case I'd consider starting from a clean installation, as the bugs you're experiencing certainly aren't normal...
As for backing up, I'd recommend using a dedicated backup-app to make an image to burn to DVD.
This dedicated backup-app your talking about, what and where are they?

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Well, there's always backup that comes with .mac, but if you check versiontracker.com there's a ton of backup utilities...
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

I have backup with .mac, you mean I can save everything on there from here? I didn't think that was possible I gotta look into that thanks again.

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Don't have waves when putting a widgets on the desktop! | Not deleting website history! »