New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

how to update the firm ware?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hussam1980

Hussam1980 is on a distinguished road

Okay, I have been trying to hunt Mac OS Tiger for my old iMac I bought few months ago and finally found it and bought it.

Every time I try to install it, a message pops up saying that I need to update the firmware.

I thought I will give it another try using Tiger that came on CD's and I bought a used one for a very expensive price but it didn't work either.

I am stuck with two system disks that I couldn't use and one old mac desktop with a system that is old as dirt. I have done some research and tried to do whatever they want me to do but nothing worked. I think I better sell it and and get pack of cigarettes (the cheapest). Stupid Macs!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussam1980 View Post
Stupid Macs!
Well you know there's a lot of "User Error" out in the world as well.

For example you never told us what sort of Macintosh computer (model & specifications) you have...so it's sort of difficult to provide you with a specific answer to your question.

If you want a "general/generic" answer to your question..."How to update the Firmware?"...the generic answer is...you:

- download the firmware updater from the internet
- you launch the updater
- the updater does it's thing
- you reboot the computer

Now I'm guessing that's not going to be of much help...since you probably don't know which firmware updater to download...why?...because:

- you didn't tell us what model Mac you have
- you didn't tell us what your Mac's specifications are
- you didn't tell us what Mac OS version you're running

So let's not always blame "Stupid Mac's"...let's also consider "User Error" may also play a part!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Yep sell it and get on the smokes. That will resolve all life's problems. If you want assistance, provide the details as Nick suggests.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

What kind of iMac is this..as you may be in problem city!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
...as you may be in problem city!
(Singing)..."Where the lights are bright and the girls are pretty!"

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Hussam1980

Hey guys, Sorry I have been away from the internet trying to study a little.
I appreciate your replies. I still have the mac. Its iMac G3:
Processor 800 Mhz
Ram: 256 MB
Hard drive is 30 GB.
The system is Mac OS 9.1

Anything else could help?
I didn't give up yet. Trying to be patient and see the system. if I like it, then I would like to sell my PC as well as the laptop I have and get a nice mac laptop.

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Hussam1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

If you want a "general/generic" answer to your question..."How to update the Firmware?"...the generic answer is...you:

- download the firmware updater from the internet
- you launch the updater
- the updater does it's thing
- you reboot the computer

Now I'm guessing that's not going to be of much help...since you probably don't know which firmware updater to download...why?...because:

- you didn't tell us what model Mac you have
- you didn't tell us what your Mac's specifications are
- you didn't tell us what Mac OS version you're running

So let's not always blame "Stupid Mac's"...let's also consider "User Error" may also play a part!

- Nick
I tried to update the firmware using the steps you mentioned but didn't work.
I know about "USER ERROR" but it's not that this time. I know I am new to macs but not a complete retard. installing a new system on a computer shouldn't be rocket science!
I heard that mac os is a lot easier and more stable then windows so why all this complexity in installing a system on it? I don't seem to get it.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the update you require and you do need to be running OS 9.1 or 9.2 to install the update. Download and read the instructions that come with it:-

iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download

Have to tell you however that 800MHz does not ring true as 700MHz is the fastest G3's came in. Sure it is not what is known as a G4 lampshade model with screen on top of the dome?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1362

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ac_800_fp.html

If it be the G4 then you need this update:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120068

Sure better that check that user error thingo!
QUOTE Thanks
Hussam1980

It looks just like this one

I am sure it is G3 but I am also sure that it is 800 MHz

Thanks,

Will give it a try and come back

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Okay looks like it is an Indigo Summer 2001 500MHz machine and the update is 4.1.9. Here are the specs for the Indigo and it will run Tiger nicely with that 1GB memory:-

iMac G3/500 (Summer 2001 - I/S) Specs (iMac - Summer 2001, M8582LL/A*, PowerMac4,1, M5521, 1857) @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Students can view and delete docs in other profiles? | upgrade possible? »