New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New Admin Account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jkrlox

jkrlox is on a distinguished road

Hi to everyone, I just bought an used macbook pro (last gen, 13 inches) a couple of weeks ago and I just figured out that I can't install or change nothing without the admin password. I cannot contact the person who sold me the computer and I do not have the OSX cds so i'm completely stuck.

I've seen some videos on youtube about starting the pc in command line mode and changing some stuff but I'm not sure if it works on this macbook pro.

Is there a way to change or delete the account, or format de computer without the cds and the admin password??
QUOTE Thanks
iAndrew

iAndrew is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Pro - 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB Ram - 500 GB HDD

This may sound ridiculous, but have you tried just hitting enter? Whether there is a password or not, it will prompt you for a password. If there is no password, you just hit enter. Try that first. If that is the case, just go about doing everything as you normally would.

If not, you need a Mac OS X disc to remove the password through ~Utilities, Reset Password. A retail copy is only $29.99. If you know the terminal very thoroughly, type in ">console" in the password prompt and proceed through there to delete the password.

Andrew
Apple Certified Support Professional - 10.6
Apple Certified Associate - Mac Integration 10.6
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Os X 10.5 won't boot. | OS DVD with cd drive? »