New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New to MAc and confused about all these OS!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheBridge

TheBridge is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15' i7; Iphone4 32gig; Ipod Tough 3rd Geeration 32gig;

ok so i just got my mac about a week ago. and i have seen people they have os leopar , tiger, i think i even saw panther. Whats the difference between all of these? When i go to the "About this MAc section" it says i HAve Mac OS X Version 10.6.4... is that leopard or tiger etc...or it it just mac osx..

whats the difference between all of these thanxz!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

10.6.4 is Snow Leopard. The names are just the Apple name for the different version of the OS. 10.6.4 is the latest version of OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBridge View Post
ok so i just got my mac about a week ago. and i have seen people they have os leopar , tiger, i think i even saw panther. Whats the difference between all of these? When i go to the "About this MAc section" it says i HAve Mac OS X Version 10.6.4... is that leopard or tiger etc...or it it just mac osx..

Apple brands each new major iteration of Mac OS X with a different animal name.

The names correspond as follows:

Mac OS X 10.0 "Cheetah"
Mac OS X 10.1 "Puma"
Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"
Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther"
Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"
Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"

So, since you have 10.6, you're running Snow Leopard. The "X" is actually roman numeral ten. So, it's not "Mac Oh-Ess Ecks", but actually pronounced "Mac Oh-Ess Ten".

Hope that clears things up for you a bit.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

Not sure if your interest/question is just curiosity...or if you think that you're "not keeping up with the neighbors"...but the version of the OS you have (10.6.4)...is the latest & greatest Mac OS version...so everything else is in the past!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well consider it the same as differences between Windows 7, Vista, XP, ME, 2000 , 98 etc. Just names depicting upgraded operating systems is all.
QUOTE Thanks
TheBridge

TheBridge is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15' i7; Iphone4 32gig; Ipod Tough 3rd Geeration 32gig;

oh ok.. thanxz to all...
i just wanted to educate myself better on mac..
thanxz to all!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Mac OS X 10.0 "Cheetah"
Mac OS X 10.1 "Puma"
Mac OS X 10.2 "Jaguar"
Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther"
Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"
Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"
Quote:
Whats the difference between all of these?
Well, typically, when it jumps "a tenth" (like 10.1 to 10.2) that's a substantial upgrade. Within each named OS there are smaller updates, such as 10.5.7 to 10.5.8, which is the highest version of Leopard. However, Snow Leopard broke the mold. It's not as big of a jump as previous upgrades. But, you already have it, so the older ones aren't of much concern.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G4 Boot Problem | Mac OS X Tiger »