New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder Sidebar has disappeared

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keilo

keilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP

Hello,

I have had an app called Total Finder installed, they recently did an update, which caused me to have sidebar problems. I have since deleted this app, because I couldn't work without my sidebar.
After deleting the app, and re-launching finder, I now have no sidebar, no options, search box or back buttons in my finder window, and my folders open in new windows when the 'always open folders in new windows' box is unticked.
How can I get my old finder back?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Go to user>library>preferences and delete com.apple.finder.plist and hopefully this fixes your mess.
Repair disk permissions. reboot and see if you are back to good.
Next step would be to reinstall that app and use the uninstaller if it has one, and if not, use AppCleaner to delete it which will find any left of mess.
Failing that,, get onto the developers of that App.
Failing all of that, I hope you have been vigilant with keeping time machine backups, and restoring back to before your trouble began.
Finally, reinstalling OS X and staying away from these "questionable OS X altering applications"
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
and staying away from these "questionable OS X altering applications"
The best advice i have heard today

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
keilo

keilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP

Quote:
Go to user>library>preferences and delete com.apple.finder.plist and hopefully this fixes your mess.
Next step would be to reinstall that app and use the uninstaller if it has one, and if not, use AppCleaner to delete it which will find any left of mess.
Failing all of that, I hope you have been vigilant with keeping time machine backups, and restoring back to before your trouble began.
Finally, reinstalling OS X and staying away from these "questionable OS X altering applications"
Thanks, got it working!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Which step did it - for the next one with the same issue?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Please share what you did that fixed it, should someone else run into the same problem, and find this thread
QUOTE Thanks
6string

You beat me to it Bob
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Or, just click the oval at the upper right of the window.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Or, just click the oval at the upper right of the window.
Lol.... forgot about that!
I wonder if that's all it was
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gigantic temporary file | I reset my iMac and now I am lost?... »