New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

I reset my iMac and now I am lost?...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RastaApple

RastaApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24 inch The Best

I re-installed my iMac with them two get disk's you get with your purchase (I have a 24 inch I think) so I could get my bootcamp to work and get back GarageBand.

But now I am having to install everything from scratch, which I new I would have to do but things are not working like Itunes, Photo-booth etc. . . I am trying to download the latest update form what I have now which is 10.4.11

I have no clue to whats going on and I really could use some help from someone that nows there way around an iMac.

I do not have the latest iMac*** I think it was bough it in 2008? not sure.. got it as a gift..
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sorry to run BootCamp you need Leopard OS X.5 as a minimum and not Tiger OS X.4 so it appears you have gone to all this trouble for nothing without knowing how to back up your machine and no doubt not having a cloned external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
RastaApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Sorry to run BootCamp you need Leopard OS X.5 as a minimum and not Tiger OS X.4 so it appears you have gone to all this trouble for nothing without knowing how to back up your machine and no doubt not having a cloned external drive?
Can I re-instal Leopard?
I lost my OS X Leopard Disk I thought the two grey ones were the same thing??.. what the best thing to do? I don't really have the cash to spend on a new disk (60)crazy....
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaApple View Post
Can I re-instal Leopard?
I lost my OS X Leopard Disk I thought the two grey ones were the same thing??.. what the best thing to do? I don't really have the cash to spend on a new disk (60)crazy....
10.4 = Tiger
10.5 = Leopard

Yes you could install Leopard (so you can use bootcamp)...but like you said...you need the Leopard (10.5) install disk.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Call Apple to request a replacement Leopard disc. It will cost much less than one off of eBay or elsewhere. But, I guess you'll need proof that you own a license for Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
RastaApple

How much would I be looking at? Would I be able to wipe everything and start from scratch again when i get the disk?

Oh and my DVD drive doesn't work on my Mac so there's another thing I need to add to my shopping list lool
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
How much would I be looking at? Would I be able to wipe everything and start from scratch again when i get the disk?

Oh and my DVD drive doesn't work on my Mac so there's another thing I need to add to my shopping list lool
Problems, problems, problems...

- Shouldn't have wiped the drive in the first place!
- Don't have proper install disks!
- DVD drive doesn't work!
- Don't have money!

...when will it end!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
I do not have the latest iMac*** I think it was bough it in 2008? not sure.. got it as a gift..
If it came with 10.4 discs, you're on a machine that was released prior to October 2007, which is when Leopard was released.

Fortunately, it's an Intel machine, so you can just pick up a copy of Snow Leopard (10.6), which runs around $30 in the US. That fixes your problem with the old OS, but it will not help you with the old version of iLife '06 (which includes iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, etc).

In this case, I think your best bet would be to save some money and pick up the Mac Boxed Set. This includes the latest version of OS X, iLife and iWork, all in one bundle. It's kind of pricey at $169 (US list), but I've seen it elsewhere - like Amazon.com - for $89.

This will be a somewhat expensive mistake for you, unfortunately. Just learn from it, and know that it is almost *never* necessary to reinstall the OS on a Mac. This is a bad habit we bring with us from Windows, but OS X is almost always recoverable just by making a new user account.

And by all means, before you make *ANY* major change to your machine, you need to have a solid backup. There are only two kinds of computer users in this world, those who have lost data and those that eventually will...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RastaApple

Well my first thing to get is a new DVD Drive.. It not that I don't have the money it's just I need it to move back to the UK..

Could I borrow the disk from some one? will that work..

+ I did back it up in time machine but it has only backed up my applications and music for some odd reason..
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Well my first thing to get is a new DVD Drive.. It not that I don't have the money it's just I need it to move back to the UK..

Could I borrow the disk from some one? will that work..
Only a retail disc or a system disk specific to that model will work.

Quote:
+ I did back it up in time machine but it has only backed up my applications and music for some odd reason..
Time Machine doesn't work that way. How are you ascertaining that only certain files were backed up? If you're just casually browsing the directory, that doesn't tell the whole picture. If you had a Leopard disc, you can boot from it and opt to restore from a Time Machine backup, which will put your machine back to the state it was in before you formatted.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And above all else, have a read of the User Manual.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder Sidebar has disappeared | Recovering missing fonts? »