New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Oh my God - -everything has disappeared

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laurahead108

laurahead108 is on a distinguished road

Help! I just ran a back-up of my entire computer and seem to have transferred, rater than copied, its contents. I backed it up to an external LaCie hard drive, and -and went I went in to check on it there was an error message that wouldn't go away. Something about the "Palm Background." So I restarted the computer, and when it booted up, it was virtually empty. Almost all of my documents and applications are gone. It booted up as if I had never used it before -- I got the Start-Up Assistant. Aaah!

It looks as if it has been transferred onto the external hard drive, rather than backed up to it But how do I get it re-installed? It won't just copy over. What do I do? I am totally freaking out.

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Did you use Time Machine or did you just drag and drop all your copies into the hard drive? What model of Mac are you using, which operating system, etc?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No backup program that I know of will remove the original data after it's been backed up. What exactly did you do? And what program did you use to backup? It sounds like you may have moved the data rather than backing it up? Are you sure there is nothing on your hard drive? Are you logged into your original account?
QUOTE Thanks
laurahead108

It's a G (Power PC) , running Tiger. I used the LaCie backup software.
As for how I'm logged in, yes, I'm logging in as always.

I ran First Aid in Disk Utility, and see that the drive is damaged. Should I take it in to Apple? I don't have Disk Warrior, and am not sure how to recover the lost data.

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I ran First Aid in Disk Utility, and see that the drive is damaged. Should I take it in to Apple? I don't have Disk Warrior, and am not sure how to recover the lost data.
The hard drive probably needs to be replaced. Once you replace it with a new one you can reload the operating system and then use your LaCie backup you made to recover everything.

You will need to use you original Tiger disks so be sure to have them on hand.

If you would post the exact year and model of your PPC G machine, we can help you find a new hard drive and supply you with instructions on how to change it out yourself. Taking it to Apple is an option but it may be expensive, however, if you think you can't do the work yourself, then that might be best.

Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
laurahead108

Thanks so much for everybody''s help. Turns out it is/was a hard drive problem, and that in fact my automatic backup system hasn't be working right for months. So it is now at a data recovery place, awaiting further diagnostoc input.

Thanks to everybody for coming to my aid in this time of need.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Wow did you get a quote on data recovery costs before they proceed? Can run into thousand of dollars
QUOTE Thanks
laurahead108

Yes, thanks for your concern. I'm budgeting $500. More than that I think will be better spent on therapy...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurahead108 View Post
Yes, thanks for your concern. I'm budgeting $500. More than that I think will be better spent on therapy...
Only if they have to disassemble the hard drive (remove platters and reassemble) will the cost be higher than $500.00. If it's a simple data recovery job (using specialized software) that may keep the cost down. Let's hope you don't have to make an appointment with your therapist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« International disappeared from system preferences | Gigantic temporary file »