New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

imac os x

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

veem

veem is on a distinguished road

I volunteer at local elem school. they have an old imac os x that they use for games/teaching for the kids. it is not connected to the internet. there are at least 2 problems i see on the system. the time and date area incorrect. i tried to fix it, however, all the features are grayed out. i rebooted a few times, however, still cannot update the time/date.

there is also a game the kids are to play to help with hand/eye coordination. they play about 5 minutes, then the screen starts to 'black-out'. maybe it will come back with a reboot, but often not.

is there anything i can do to correct these issues, or is this computer dead?

the version is 10.3.9, so I know it is a really old version.

(maybe this is one of the reasons our kids are at the bottom of the education heap?) thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
QUOTE Thanks
lacgullason

lacgullason is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.42 mhz processor 1 gb ram, G4 Processor, 60 GB hard drive running tiger, iPod Nano G5, iPod 2&5 G

Hey There... I would like to know the specs... Hardrive, ram, model...
i can suggest a few thing with the knowledge you have given me... I suggest that you find a mac OSX disk and reinstall mac OSX but this m ay be a lot simpler than that.. please give me your specs and i will reply
QUOTE Thanks
poseidonninja

poseidonninja is on a distinguished road

the options are probably grayed out because you are not an admin, or you did not click the little lock icon in the corner to unlock the prefs.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Did you untick the box saying "Set Time and Date Automatically"? That along with pressing the unlock botton you should be able to set the time and date.
QUOTE Thanks
lacgullason

lacgullason is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.42 mhz processor 1 gb ram, G4 Processor, 60 GB hard drive running tiger, iPod Nano G5, iPod 2&5 G

Guys i think it's a ram problem or a software problem... my iMac G3 did this while running the first OSX and i reinstalled it.... that kind of fixed it but once i changed up the ram.... it was all fixed
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Hey ...I run 10.2 on an lime green iMac...its not that bad. I would reinstall the OS as kids have messing with this computer for a wail and who knows how corrupt the system is buy now. Just repaired a "school PC" for a client it had all kinds of problems.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Time and date error indicate a failing PRAM battery. Replace for about $5.00 or less. Not much help for the fading screen as CRT screens are just about history.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...gy/BAA36VPRAM/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder - Date Created option | Broadcasting problem. »