Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2010
    Posts
    1
    details on copy window
    hi,
    i'm new to mac os,
    i could'nt find a way to show more information on the copy screen the finder opens while copying files.

    in Windows 7, there's an option to see more details on the files/folders being copied

    if there's no native way of doing so, can anyone recommend some 3rd party util that does....

    thanks,

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,089
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Open Finder, click on "View" at the top, then select "Show View Options". Check off the boxes (options) you wish and click on the tab at the bottom that says use as defaults.

    A good free file manager utility for OS X is "muCommander". I use it all the time.

  3. #3

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,987
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by wing2005 View Post
    i could'nt find a way to show more information on the copy screen the finder opens while copying files.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Open Finder, click on "View" at the top, then select "Show View Options". Check off the boxes (options) you wish and click on the tab at the bottom that says use as defaults.
    The above quote from the OP, taken literally, is not addressed by that response. But, taken as a whole, and reading between the lines, I think you nailed it. One more thing: that applies more to List View or Cover Flow than Icon or Column View.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    I'm not so sure..... I was thinking that the OP wanted the dialogue box that comes up when copying a file to show more information, though I may be mistaken.

  5. #5

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    47,089
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Neither was I sure what he was asking? There's really not much that can be configured or changed for copying. That's why I suggested the additional file info. Maybe he'll post back and let us know.

  6. #6

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,987
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    I'm not so sure..... I was thinking that the OP wanted the dialogue box that comes up when copying a file to show more information, though I may be mistaken.
    That's what I thought too. But then, like what other info??

    Then there's this:
    Quote Originally Posted by wing2005 View Post
    in Windows 7, there's an option to see more details on the files/folders being copied
    Explorer vs. Finder question?

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Mar 16, 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    That's what I thought too. But then, like what other info??

    Then there's this:


    Explorer vs. Finder question?
    I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking for this feature myself. I know exactly what he means. Other useful information would include:
    1. Not just the name of the Destination folder, but the full path of the Volume & Folder itís copying To and From.
    2. The speed of the transfer (Read & Write in MB/s)
    3. iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango is a 3rd Party Utility that helps with displaying the Disk Activity and many other things.

  8. #8

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,987
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Babyboi View Post
    I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I was looking for this feature myself. I know exactly what he means. Other useful information would include:
    1. Not just the name of the Destination folder, but the full path of the Volume & Folder itís copying To and From.
    2. The speed of the transfer (Read & Write in MB/s)
    3. iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango is a 3rd Party Utility that helps with displaying the Disk Activity and many other things.
    Seems to me that the speed in MB/sec is about as useful as the "estimated time remaining", which is not very. That estimate is rarely accurate, especially as the number gets smaller. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and the last "3 minutes" took at least 10.

    Are you saying that iStat menus has items 1 and 2 covered?

  9. #9

    MacInWin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 07, 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    5,165
    Specs:
    2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and MacMini
    You don't need to pay for a third party product to get read/write speeds. Activity Monitor can show that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can I mouse-over (not click) a window to 'activate' the window
    By GreenWings in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
  2. copy & copy replace, lost files :(
    By newbie1974 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 08:17 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM
  4. Copy File Failed and Finder Window doesn't close
    By v_dash in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •