Thread: How do you...

How do you...

How do you...
    Right, this might come out wrong idk yet, so here goes;
    How do you look through your files like you can on windows via control panel>program files? please

Thanks.

*edit* Could someone give me a lot of pointers on how to use my mac properly please, I've been apple since January but I've not really been on my mac all summer and I've pretty much lost it how to get the most of out it. My brain keeps trying to relate back to windows as that's all I used (for personal use) before January <_<
    It's just annoying me now because I can't seem to explore the mac properly, it's as if I'm scared to, sounds daft I know.

How do you...
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    "How do you..."

...Write a proper title for your thread??? It's considered bad forum etiquette to do what you did with your title!

Don't you realize that almost 100% of the questions/posts on this forum could have that title...please be specific!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

How do you...
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    I would assume you mean Windows Explorer (or I think it's just called Explorer now - ??) since the Control Panel is not what allows you to look through your files in Windows.

Finder is the equivalent to Explorer in Windows and it will be the icon at the far left side of the dock in a default install of OS X.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

How do you...
    Specs:
    Mac's
    "Control Panel>Program files" in Windows gives you a list of all you Applications.

In OS X all of your Applications are in the "Applications Folder".

You probably have a shortcut to that folder in your dock, and on the right side of any open Finder window.

How do you...
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Don't you realize that almost 100% of the questions/posts on this forum could have that title...please be specific!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
    In OS X all of your Applications are in the "Applications Folder".

You probably have a shortcut to that folder in your dock, and on the right side of any open Finder window.
    He means the other right.

How do you...
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    +1

He means the other right.
    lol… yes… LEFT.. on the LEFT side.

How do you...

Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    HorizonFire, if you want to learn more about how to use your Mac you can go here: Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

They are good video tutorials created by Apple for new users or people who still don't know the basics. If you have more specific questions you can always ask them here on this forum.

How do you...
    HorizonFire, here's a tip that I love for its usefulness and convenience:

In Windows I use keyboard shortcuts all the time. So, to fire up Windows Explorer to manage my files I use Windows Key + E.

In MacOS, just click on an empty area of the desktop and press Command + Up Arrow. It'll bring a Finder window right up displaying your Home folder. You can take it from there.

How do you...
    Specs:
    21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    +1 for the video tutorials Endless Mac posted. The Apple site has a lot of great, short videos that will get you started on many of the basics as well as the iLife applications. From there you can read some text tutorials and go on to what catches your attention.

How do you...
    Another good reference is the missing manual.

Thread Information