New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS-X a bit dull?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

windymiller

windymiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1

Over the last year since I've come back to Mac's it's always struck me Apple could do more with their background window panes, task bars etc.

I mean we have beautiful LED screens only to have dull grey windows, even Vista had the ability to change the colour and opaqueness of it's surroundings.

Any chance of a brighter future?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymiller View Post

I mean we have beautiful LED screens only to have dull grey windows, even Vista had the ability to change the colour and opaqueness of it's surroundings.

Any chance of a brighter future?
Yes...learn how to use the Mac OS...you can do those things you mentioned already!!!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I think MAC OS X was designed to get out of the way of tour work, rather than shout at you, "hey look at me, I have all sorts of colours and buttons to use".

It's just the way Apple works, the OS is designed to function and stay out of your face rather than shout at you.

Its almost a European design ethic, almost Swiss in its clean look

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I am a clean, minimalist kind of guy (hence why I like GNOME over KDE when using non-OS X *nix OSes) so the design ethic please me. That said, it's not for everyone. To be fair though, an OS is more about getting things done rather than looking good. Sure, it's nice to date someone who's really good looking but if you can't get along with them, it's doomed to failure.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Sure, it's nice to date someone who's really good looking but if you can't get along with them, it's doomed to failure.
Vansmith...you're sounding like an "old guy" with that sort of wisdom...or maybe you're wise beyond your years!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Vansmith...you're sounding like an "old guy" with that sort of wisdom...or maybe you're wise beyond your years!

- Nick
Let's go with wise beyond my years. I'm not ready to be old!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
...I'm not ready to be old!
Who is!

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The design of Windows 7 is definitely more garish than OS X. It also consumes a lot more resources to run like that. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that an Operating System should do just that - allow the user to interact with the machine. A certain amount of eye candy is great, but Windows 7 (and Vista before it) really go overboard.

Of course, if you want to fool around with skinning OS X, there are plenty of resources out there. But I'd say that Apple has a lot more that they need to focus on from a functional perspective before they worry about adding any more eye candy.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Give me a computer that works. You can have the bells, whistles, and flashy graphics.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Give me a computer that works. You can have the bells, whistles, and flashy graphics.
Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Boulier1.JPG (10.8 KB, 12 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Here you go:
The batteries last FOREVER on those too!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Hooray ABACUS!!!

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
JP-ME

JP-ME can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I'm with windymiller on this one. As a new yet to be converted user of OS X I'm finding the switch from W7 a bit of a culture shock. I do not find W7 at all garish as someone else alluded to plus it does work and works well. I would liken W7 to Marilyn Monroe with the brains of Einstein with OS X being the class swot who never wants to party. Give the girl a new frock.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Moved post to another thread.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some F function key dont do what the picture say! | Can't update OSX 10.4.11 to 10.5.7 »