New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Coding C++ and Java

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ciwan

Ciwan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard

Hi Guys

I am a university student, and we are currently learning how to program in C++ and Java.

How can I Program Java and C++ Code on my iMac ? What do I need ? Are there settings that need to be played with ?

let's assume I have a file called { mycode.java } how can I run that code ?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

"Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The JDK should be pre-installed. Open up Terminal and type the following (assuming the java code is found in mycode.java):
Code:
javac <directory where mycode java file is>/mycode.java
Press enter and that will compile your code. Then type the following to run it:
Code:
java <dir where mycode class file is>/mycode
Note that when running java to run the class, there is no extension.

As for C++, install the Xcode dev tools off of the install discs (I think it's disc 1) or get them from the Apple developer site.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Will the JDK be the latest version ?

Thanks

"Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

I can't find anything called Development Tools !

There is a program called { XCode 3.2.4 and iOS SDK 4.1 } which I have downloaded.

Though I'm not sure if that is what I was suppose to download !

Also there is a link to Developer Downloads, and once I click that I get a long list of stuff, but none of them is { XCode Development Tools }

I'm stuck

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Xcode = the developer tools. If there was any confusion, that was my fault.

I have Java 1.6.0_20 on my machine. You can always check yours by executing "java -version" at the CLI. That will give you the version of the Java runtime and I assume that the JDK would be the same version.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Thanks vansmith

Just to clarify, as I have already mentioned, I have downloaded the { XCode 3.2.4 and iOS SDK 4.1 } And I understand you've said the XCode is the Developer Tools, but mine has iOS SDK with it !!!

Would that cause any issues ? Plus how big is it ? Cause I don't like having stuff that I won't need.

Finally I asked my lecturer and he said we're using Java version 6. And my version of Java is the same as yours !! { 1.6.0_20 } does that mean we are way behind on Java Updates ?

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

As you can see here, Java 6 refers to version 1.6.0. Yes, the version numbers are weird. Your best bet would be to clarify with your prof and ask them whether or not you have the required tools.

I have no idea how much extra is installed if you install the iOS SDK. AFAIK though, there is a version of the Xcode dev tools that doesn't have the iOS SDK.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

OK Thanks Vansmith.

One last question, say I have a C++ file called { mycode.cpp }

How do I run it ? do I open the terminal and type cc mycode.cpp ? or is this different ?

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I'm not a GCC pro but this looks like it might help.

As an aside, isn't your prof supposed to teach you how to do all of this?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

LOL He has, but on Windows

I'll read the article and see whether I can get it to work.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

The commands to compile a Java program are the same across OS. The GCC commands should be the same as well. That is irrelevant though if your prof doesn't use GCC.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciwan View Post
LOL He has, but on Windows
That's pretty ironic, considering JAVA is platform agnostic.

Anyway, you might want to check out this resource

Switching to the Mac for the Java Developer, Part 1 &mdash; Developer.com

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen resolution - too small???? | upgrading powerbook operating system »