New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Screen resolution - too small????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-ME View Post
Perhaps then it is Apple that need to up their game eh? No one has been more critical of Windows over the years than me as they have released some pretty poor iterations. I even had a personal response from a Mr Balmer on one occasion. However, for me at at least W7 worked straight out of the box and is the bench mark by which I judge all others. I'm not interested whether MS lifted many of their ideas from OS X, they may well have done but to my mind they have also polished them up.

You seem to think we all have to worship at the alter of Jobs - I'm sorry pigoo3 but we Brits worship at no ones alter, we are quite an irreverent bunch I'm afraid. You want to see the way we treat our politicians.

Don't like OS X you say of me? Well straight out of the box I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of my feelings but given time and a bit of tweaking I'm sure I'll get there.

You had a go at me for not liking Safari - I've never met anyone that does. Most Apple users I know say it's poor and use alternatives. Maybe you are one of the few who do?

As for the small text well if you read back a few posts you will notice I have found an add-on called NoSquint which works really well so problem solved on that one.

If or when I finally have something to cheer about I'll let you know then perhaps you can celebrate on my behalf, now how does that sound?
All I can say is that it seems that there is not much that makes you happy...or that you can give a positive review for! This is not to be confused with having high standards! Simply that you look at many things in a pessimistic manner!

Sounds to me (thus far) that you are much "less negative" (but not happy) in a Windows environment...regardless of the amount of help you've received from members here on Mac-Forums!

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

In ANY OS X application, you can press Command+ to zoom in and CMD- to zoom out. Works in Firefox, Safari, Mail or whatever. In Safari, this gets reset when you close and re-open the app, but in Firefox, it's persistent.

Additionally, under Universal Access under the system preferences, there are other options around this.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
In ANY OS X application, you can press Command+ to zoom in and CMD- to zoom out. Works in Firefox, Safari, Mail or whatever. In Safari, this gets reset when you close and re-open the app, but in Firefox, it's persistent.

Additionally, under Universal Access under the system preferences, there are other options around this.
This is probably one the most common "command" key functions I use (after cut, copy, and paste).

I also frequently use the "ctrl" + 2-finger scroll on a laptop to "zoom in" & "zoom out"

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

I also frequently use the "ctrl" + 2-finger scroll on a laptop to "zoom in" & "zoom out"

- Nick
Or the mouse ball/scroller if you have an external mouse. Anyway, the point is there are lots of ways to make what you're looking at larger.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Or the mouse ball/scroller if you have an external mouse. Anyway, the point is there are lots of ways to make what you're looking at larger.
Yes...I was going to add that this "zoom" command works on mouse balls & scroll wheels as well. The one thing I couldn't find is if there is a purely keyboard only combination that does the same thing.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
JP-ME

JP-ME can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
All I can say is that it seems that there is not much that makes you happy...or that you can give a positive review for! This is not to be confused with having high standards! Simply that you look at many things in a pessimistic manner!

Sounds to me (thus far) that you are much "less negative" (but not happy) in a Windows environment...regardless of the amount of help you've received from members here on Mac-Forums!

Good luck,

- Nick
I think maybe it's you that's having a bad hair day not me as I'm quite cheerful thank you very much.

Because I criticise something does not necessarily mean I am despondent or unhappy. If we Brits think something can be done better or it is not to our liking then we say so and pretty **** sharpish. It's only by criticising a product that a manufacturer is likely to make efforts to improve it. OS X is not perfect and I don't think anyone would claim otherwise, there is always room for improvement in most walks of life.

I'm not sure why you assume there is a correlation between forum members offering their help and my happiness either? I have been grateful for the help but the two things are not mutually exclusive.

As I said previously a tweak here and there is slowly begining to yeild results.
QUOTE Thanks
JP-ME

JP-ME can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD

Quote:

Yes thanks for that Zoolook, I had read about that shortcut earlier today. The reason I like the NoSquint add-on though is because I'm not the sole user of this machine. My wife uses it too and she has very good eyesight. All she has to do now is move the slider back to normal when she uses it then when I come to use it again I slide it back up to 120% and everyone's happy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Twitter, YouTube, etc. all keep getting misdirected | Coding C++ and Java »