New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Starting my old iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danosu

danosu is on a distinguished road

I have an old round base type of iMac and when I turn it on... I hear the mac "ring" and then a little folder appears with a question mark in it in the center of the screen. The computer booted fine before moving it to my home from the office and now it wont boot and all I get is this little folder
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It cannot find a system folder, have you got the restore disk still for that ole mac

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

Yea, that sometimes happens when you move them around. I got an iBook from a member here. Saw pictures of it working fine, but when it got here it was doing what you described. I popped in the disks, reloaded the OS, worked like a champ.

Could be possible that the hard drive itself pooched. You will know that if the OS installer can't recognize any hard disk at all. Good luck! I want to get myself a G4 iMac; probably the coolest looking computer ever built IMO.

White Penryn Macbook 08'
2.1GHZ C2D - 4GB RAM - 120GB HD - Combo Drive - Snow Leopard - Windows 7 Professional
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

May be time for a new battery. Flavor iMacs will often not boot if the battery is dead. Check the time and date and see if there are wrong.

Hey iBelder...Im in College Park, Ga.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help working Terminal? | Mini 10.6.3 Install discs on (sort of) old Mini »