Specs:
    Mac Pro
    Wrong time stamp in downloaded attachments
    When I download a file from, say, Thunderbird to a local folder on my Mac Pro or MacBook, and then use Finder to examine the time and date of creation and modification, Finder shows the time and date that I downloaded the file (usually the current time and date if I look at it immediately) and not the actual time and date the file was created. This is a different behavior from Windows Explorer on a PC, where the original creation date is carried along with the downloaded file.

Having a correct time stamp is very important to me, especially for comparing different versions of a given document. Is there a way to capture the correct file creation date?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Which files are you referring to? Give an example so I can test it because my Finder acts exactly the same way as the Windows file explorer. That is it will show the modified date and the original creation date.

I just tested this with a download from a site I'm familiar with: The alias file has the same date, however, the application file shows two dates in Finder. The first is the date the file was downloaded, the second shows the original file creation date. (Just like the Windows Explorer would.)

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Open up Finder - head to View on the Menu Bar and select Show View Options - make sure you have 'Date Created' checked there. I think the default is for this to not be checked.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Good one, I forgot all about the view preferences. Hope the OP sees your reply.

Specs:
    Mac Pro
    I went to Show View Options as suggested and checked both Date Modified and Date Created, but the first file I downloaded via Thunderbird still has the timestamp of one minute ago in both the date modified and date created fields. I'm sorry, but I don't know how to attach the file to this Reply.

Thread Information