New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

storage problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p3ris

p3ris is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2007 macbook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ ipod shuffle 4th Gen. 2Gb

hello,
i'm p3ris and i'm new in this forum, i'm having a problem with my macbook.
i have about 500Mb free space in my laptop's hard disk, and when i use transmission and start downloading torrent files my diks's free space is getting smaller and smaller.
for example if i have 500Mb free space after 10 hours of using transmission then i have no free space at all, although i haven't save my files in my hard disk but i save them in an external hard dik.
does anyone has any ideas ???
thnx
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You need a lot more than 500 mb of free space, the Macs swap files may grow depending on what you are doing. You should have at least 10-20% free space on your boot disk

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
p3ris

ok with this but i have one more question.
i have deleted many Gb from my macbook so i wouldn't have this problem.
more than 3 Gb have been deleted from my mackbook and when i used programms the same story started again and after few hours i had no more free space. so these 3 Gb that where free where are they now??
i want to say that this free space must have been captured...
or not?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

You do really man 500MB free space?

Wonder the poor old thing even boots and it must be awfully slow. Pop in a larger HDD>
QUOTE Thanks
p3ris

i didn't have 500Mb free space it was an example, but since i have this problem my free space is less than 500 Mb....
what's the HDD?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

HDD is your Hard Drive. You said that you deleted 3GB of data but did you empty your trash can?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
p3ris

yes, i did...
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you only deleted 3 GB of space it's possible that you still don't have enough space. Even if the files you are downloading are stored on an external drive applications that are running usually store temporary files on your boot/startup drive.

The OS will also store temporary information there if it has not been used in a while especially if several apps are open at once. How many apps do you have open when this is happening? Also, how much memory (ram not hard drive space) does your Mac have?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
p3ris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
If you only deleted 3 GB of space it's possible that you still don't have enough space. Even if the files you are downloading are stored on an external drive applications that are running usually store temporary files on your boot/startup drive.

The OS will also store temporary information there if it has not been used in a while especially if several apps are open at once. How many apps do you have open when this is happening? Also, how much memory (ram not hard drive space) does your Mac have?
it has 4Gb RAM.
this happens when i start my mac and use about 3-4 apps, i-tunes,transmission and safari (most of the times).
can u answer me please, which files are stored in this free space since i'm not creating new files, i save them in an external hard drive, and i boot safari from my external hard drive...?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm sure someone else can give a more thorough answer but these files are mainly "swap files". Let's use Safari as an example but the same is true for other programs. When a program is opened the data that it needs to operate is loaded into any free memory (ram) that's available. As other programs are opened, and load there data into ram, there is less free space. Since the OS needs some "free" (open) memory to operate well it writes data that has not been used recently to the hard drive. The data is still available for programs to use but it is on the hard drive until requested or the program in question, in this case Safari, is shut down.

These "swap files" are invisible to the user under most circumstances. They are generally stored on the "boot" drive and can vary considerably in size. The less memory (ram) you have the more likely it is that programs will need to write "swap files" to the hard drive. Four GB f ram is probably sufficient for most tasks though.

Here's a question though. When you first boot your Mac and the Finder and Dock are the only thing opens how much free space does the Finder say that your hard drive has? If you have recently deleted 3 GB of stuff and emptied the trash the number should be somewhere near 3 GB or more unless one of the programs is not cleaning up after itself well.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I doubt anyone here is expert enough to know what all files the system puts there, nor how to stop them all. Among other things it uses Virtual Memory (the swap files sly has mentioned) and will create a temp file for sleep mode.

Bottom line, you're not going to get a responsive system, nor one that is not running out of space without freeing up a minimum of 10-20% of the space on the drive. Even the few that don't espouse this particular amount of free space claim that OS X needs a minimum of 10-12GB free space to operate properly.

Over and above that, when you're down to a minimal amount of free space, it may not be only a matter of no free space, but also a matter of not enough free contiguous space on the drive for some write operations the OS may need to perform.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
p3ris

so the conclusion is to have about 12 Gb of free space in my mac...
thnk u all!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3ris View Post
so the conclusion is to have about 12 Gb of free space in my mac...
thnk u all!!
Minimum!
I would be aiming for 25-40GB free space if you can.
Cost of a new 500GB HD less than $100.
Newegg.com - HITACHI Travelstar 7K500 HD20500 IDK/7K 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-361-_-Product
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

That first Hitachi drive you linked to is the one I just bought last week and put in my MBP on Friday. Been working like a charm (granted it's only been 3 days). It's quiet and speedy. My fans even run cooler now. I'm very pleased with it and it only took about 25-30 minutes to swap and load my cloned drive from an external.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal Problem | Sleep Mode - More Information »