New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do I move "Downloads" folder to desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EKaru

EKaru is an unknown at this point

Simply dragging it does not work.. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Right click on the folder, make alias, and drag the alias to the desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
EKaru

EKaru is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Right click on the folder, make alias, and drag the alias to the desktop.
Thanks man
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

You can also drag the folder while holding OPTION+Command keys, and drop it to create an alias. You'll see the little Alias arrow on the icon as you hold OPTION+command.

Just be sure not to let go of the OPTION+commands keys until AFTER you've dropped the alias folder/file.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Just curious, why not just put the downloads folder in your dock as an "stack" item?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
You can also drag the folder while holding Control+Command keys, and drop it to create an alias. You'll see the little Alias arrow on the icon as you hold control+command.

Just be sure not to let go of the control+commands keys until AFTER you've dropped the alias folder/file.
I think you meant option+command
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
I think you meant option+command
picky picky… you need the "exact" combination or something??? lol

Thanks!

I will not type control when i mean option
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:

Thanks!

hehe I was tempted to wait for the OP to post back saying that it wasn't working
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:

Thanks!

That's not much penance. Cmd-C / Cmd-V
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
That's not much penance. Cmd-C / Cmd-V
shhhhhhh
QUOTE Thanks
SpringC

SpringC is on a distinguished road

Somehow I took my downloads folder off my dock and now I have no idea where to find it. I'm going crazy having to track down each download. Where can I find the folder and how then do I move it to my dock? I can't use the finder as that just shows me all the things in my downloads folder, rather than the whole folder, so I can't just drag the whole folder...

Thanks for your time! I'm sure it's something very simple...
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringC View Post
Somehow I took my downloads folder off my dock and now I have no idea where to find it. I'm going crazy having to track down each download. Where can I find the folder and how then do I move it to my dock? I can't use the finder as that just shows me all the things in my downloads folder, rather than the whole folder, so I can't just drag the whole folder...
Hello and welcome to the forum! In Finder, is your 'Sidebar' showing on the left side, and if so, is the Downloads folder in the list? If there then simply 'Right-click' on the folder which will open a dialog box w/ an option to add to the Dock (see attached pic blue arrow).

Now if you do not have the Sidebar in Finder, then goto Preferences in the menu bar and select the item and make sure that 'Downloads' is checked. Let us know if this helps - good luck! Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 5.17.00 PM.png (122.5 KB, 33 views)
QUOTE Thanks
SpringC

SpringC is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the welcome and the quick response! What do you do to make that dropdown list come up in finder?

Sorry if I'm being retarded...
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringC View Post
Thank you for the welcome and the quick response! What do you do to make that dropdown list come up in finder?

Sorry if I'm being retarded...
Right-click or double tap depending on whether you have a mouse or a trackpad. If your mouse isn't set up for right-click under Preferences, Control+Click/tap will work...
QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

BTW, you can also just drag and drop the Downloads folder from Finder sidebar to your Desktop (also creating an Alias) if that's where you want it...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clicking and dragging problem... | Can i download flash player 11.2 »