New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Keychain problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nuttiespice

nuttiespice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2

I made the stupid mistake of deleting some plist files by mistake 2 months back and I am still paying for it. I had to reinstall most of my applications because the settings became permanent and I couldn't change them. Now it's my keychain access that's creating problems. I am not able to save login settings anymore. Keychain does not save passwords or login details like 'remember me' anymore. It doesn't accept new passwords even in my messengers. I even tried going directly to keychain to add passwords for webpages, but no use. Someone please help me with this.

change is what makes the world go around
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Mac Specs: Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2

Somebody pls

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Start off here.

Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Solving problems with keychains

It's the same in 10.4, 10.5 & 10.6.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

I changed everything in that keychain. Even created a new default login keychain, not working Can someone please help me out with this??

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, it's an extremely rare occasion I recommend this with OS X, but since none of us have any idea what sorts of files you deleted from it a couple of months ago, I'm gonna have to go with backing up your data and reinstalling the OS.

A full clone back up via FW, reinstall and migrate can be done in 2-3 hours max.
Much less time than you've probably already spent trying to fix all the issues.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I agree to some extent.
I would only do a partial restore from the backup!
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

My only problem is, once I reinstall the OS, how do I get all my passwords back from Keychain from the backup?

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You don't want anything back from there, which is why I say partial restore from backup..... Apps, music, movies, photos, docs.
Write down the passwords you need before you do a clean install, and add them as you need afterwards from scratch.
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Okay, alright. Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

Just a question, before I reinstall. Doesn't Apps include Keychain too? I don't wanna reinstall and migrate only to find out that I have migrated my old Keychain back.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I have never done a migration since I use cloned back ups. But, I would say no, Keychain is not an app per se. It is a part of the OS and would not be imported by an application and data only migration.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding media keys | External HD Renamed Itself »