New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help with Mac OS X Theming

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IMac_Gav

IMac_Gav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" IMac, 8GB RAM, Intel i7 Processor, 2TB HDD

Good morning all,

Firstly, I am a new member to the forums and also to the Apple Mac world so bear with me lol!

I have just received my 27" IMac and getting used to it etc, first impressions are awesome and also plays the games I like in better quality than my high spec Windows machine did.

One thing I would like to know is how do I theme my OS X so that I can make it look nicer. I have Googled this, as you do, and the only programs I can find either are not being produced anymore or are not for OSX Snow Leopard.

The version I am running is OS X V 10.6.4

Can anyone suggest a good free program to organise / deal with theming with a large theme base?

Thanks in advance,
IMac_Gav
QUOTE Thanks
IMac_Gav

IMac_Gav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" IMac, 8GB RAM, Intel i7 Processor, 2TB HDD

Do I take it this means their arnt any? lol
QUOTE Thanks
RadioSaigon

RadioSaigon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0

Gidday Gav

I'm very new to the world of Mac myself -just a little over a week. All I have done along these lines thus far is change the wallpaper (to another supplied with the OS) and modify a few of the settings in System Preferences of what is/is not displayed on the desktop. Essentially, I haven't gone down the path of theming per se, certainly in the Windows fashion...

However, in the course of my research, I have come across a programme by the name of GeekTool that may be of interest to you. There's basic information here and a very active thread/discussion on its use and code-snippets (including examples and images of what you can achieve) here and of course, here. This is probably not what you were expecting -and possibly a bit more hands-on than you'd like- but hopefully of some benefit to you.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more information on the availability of themes!
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I don't know about themes, but I use LiteIcon to customize my system icons, and sometimes visit interfacelift.com to get different icons. I know I have seen people trick out their Macs with different themes, but I'm not sure how it was done.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMac_Gav View Post
Firstly, I am a new member to the forums and also to the Apple Mac world so bear with me lol!

I have just received my 27" IMac and getting used to it etc, first impressions are awesome and also plays the games I like in better quality than my high spec Windows machine did.

One thing I would like to know is how do I theme my OS X so that I can make it look nicer. I have Googled this, as you do, and the only programs I can find either are not being produced anymore or are not for OSX Snow Leopard.

The version I am running is OS X V 10.6.4

Can anyone suggest a good free program to organise / deal with theming with a large theme base?
The state of theming on OS X is in a disorganized state right now. It's partly due to some ways that Apple tightened down OS X to make it more stable/secure, which resulted in a couple existing theming apps (ShapeShifter for ex.) to no longer be able to work. There have been a few sites dedicated to OS X theming, most of which have ceased to exist (or effectively so).

That said there are still many ways to change up OS X's look and feel. Themes in particular do still exist, but you have to be absolutely certain they are made for the specific version of OS X you have, and be aware that any point updates can break them. Icons are still very easy to change out, and many system replacement sets are available.

MacThemes.net hasn't been updated in a couple years, but the forums are still very active.
MacThemes Forum

CandyBar is the must-have app for setting new system icons and changing your Dock.
Panic - CandyBar 3 - Change and Organize Your Mac OS X Icons and Dock

As for CandyBar themes… they are a bit harder to dig up. There are a lot of free themes, and a lot of not-free themes. Some of the pro ones are absolutely amazing.
Nitro OSX - OHMY Icons!
Mac Icon Themes : OHMY!Icons, The best 3D icons ever seen.
Iconfactory : Search

Here's one other resource off the top of my head.
Michael's Mac

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« !!Need Help!! | Will the Windows XP Home 2002 edition work with Bootcamp? »