New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Peculiar Gray Screen Shut Down Situation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Team Scoopie

Team Scoopie is on a distinguished road

I've been perusing all across boards and sites for a situation that matches mine, so I apologize in advance if I completely missed the answer to my issue somewhere else.

I have a Macbook, 2007ish, and I recently installed Snow Leopard on it finally. It worked fine for about a month or so, but I began getting the restart gray screen on Shutdowns (not start ups, which seem to be the majority of gray screen situations). I hadn't ever seen this screen in the 3 years prior to installing SL, while on original Leopard.

I noticed it happened when I went to shut it down with applications running, though I had done it millions of time before on the original Leopard. I started making sure I had fully closed out of everything before shutting down and I didn't have any issues for a few days, but it happened again, with literally no programs running before shut down. I've looked at my system profile to check my RAM and they're both stated as "OK." I'm also up to date on all updates, to the best of my knowledge. Just ran the most recent ones today.

Basically I kind of have a mix of questions: is this signaling the beginning of the end for my trusty, never-before-had-a-problem macbook, a SL issue that I can remedy myself (hopefully without a re-install, since I lost my disk in my last move and would rather not buy another) OR should I just go back to Leopard to avoid any of these issues. (I still have those original shipping discs, and backing up and wiping isn't an issue for me, I just did it for the upgrade). On top of it all, SL seemed to be a little sluggish in general, not what I had expected.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide, and hopefully I'm not wasting anyone's time with obvious questions that have flown over my head.
QUOTE Thanks
Team Scoopie

Team Scoopie is on a distinguished road

Bump, just once. Could really use any kind of input. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you have your original install disks for the machine you can use them to run some tests. It sounds like your hard drive is experiencing problems. And since your machine is vintage 2007, a failing hard drive would not be unusual.

Boot the machine with your Leopard DVD (assuming the original is Leopard) and run a verify and repair of the hard drive from the boot DVD. See the following LINK to learn how to use Disk Utility.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying files to an external drive and preserving path information | snow leopard completely blocked »