New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Tiger to Leopard on G4 PPC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adetrade

adetrade is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I need some advice please!

I have a iMac G4 PPC, which has been giving me a spot of bother recently in running Leopard.
I have had the machine for a while and recently Leopard on the HDD became corrupted (I think in the kernel(?)). I erased the internal HDD and as I had a clone of the disk on an external firewire drive I ran the machine booting from that drive. All well and good and when I had the time I would sort it out.
Anyway now that copy of Leopard seems to have stopped working.
So as I also have a MacBook (Intel) I started the G4 in target disk mode connected to the MacBook and checked there was no data left and installed Tiger on the G4 internal HDD, as this was the OS supplied with the G4. Now at least I have a functioning desktop but I want to put Leopard back on it and all the applications/data that was on it before.

Can I repair the Leopard on the firewire drive by connecting it to the MacBook and repair the permissions with a copy of 10.5.1? However i have tried upgrading Tiger to Leopard on the G4 with this disk and I get an error stating unable to verify essentials package....

Confused...I am a little....can anybody make it clearer on the best way to proceed...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetrade View Post
Hello all, I need some advice please!

I have a iMac G4 PPC, which has been giving me a spot of bother recently in running Leopard.
I have had the machine for a while and recently Leopard on the HDD became corrupted (I think in the kernel(?)). I erased the internal HDD and as I had a clone of the disk on an external firewire drive I ran the machine booting from that drive. All well and good and when I had the time I would sort it out.
Anyway now that copy of Leopard seems to have stopped working.
So as I also have a MacBook (Intel) I started the G4 in target disk mode connected to the MacBook and checked there was no data left and installed Tiger on the G4 internal HDD, as this was the OS supplied with the G4. Now at least I have a functioning desktop but I want to put Leopard back on it and all the applications/data that was on it before.

Can I repair the Leopard on the firewire drive by connecting it to the MacBook and repair the permissions with a copy of 10.5.1? However i have tried upgrading Tiger to Leopard on the G4 with this disk and I get an error stating unable to verify essentials package....

Confused...I am a little....can anybody make it clearer on the best way to proceed
If your clone has stopped working too, then reinstalling OS X again won't fix anything. You have a hardware problem. I found one other conversation in another forum where someone had the same error message you had, and the culprit was bad RAM. You should run the Apple Hardware Test and check everything out thoroughly.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
adetrade

adetrade is on a distinguished road

Thanks lifesabeach for your post.

I have run a disk utility check on the clone HDD and found it is corrupt. A message suggests that I backup the data and reformat the HDD.

I have erased the G4 HDD and installed 10.4 to get it up and running. I have also tried to install 10.5 but seem to get an error message part way thru' install which details unable to validate "essentials" package.

Any ideas on getting 10.5 back on the machine?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adetrade View Post
Thanks lifesabeach for your post.

I have run a disk utility check on the clone HDD and found it is corrupt. A message suggests that I backup the data and reformat the HDD.

I have erased the G4 HDD and installed 10.4 to get it up and running. I have also tried to install 10.5 but seem to get an error message part way thru' install which details unable to validate "essentials" package.

Any ideas on getting 10.5 back on the machine?

Cheers
As before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I found one other conversation in another forum where someone had the same error message you had, and the culprit was bad RAM. You should run the Apple Hardware Test and check everything out thoroughly.
Here are instructions to run the AHT:
The Apple Hardware Test

And to check your RAM very thoroughly:
Memtest OS X

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems w/safari and... | changing the "alert" ichat icon »