New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Process of removing OS 9 and installing OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I haven't done any formatting and fresh installs of any OS's on a Mac yet. What would be the process of going from OS 9.2 to OS 10.3? I want a fresh install just like from the factory. How would I format the HD and then load OS 10.3 on the Mac? It's an iMac G3. Thanks.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
I haven't done any formatting and fresh installs of any OS's on a Mac yet. What would be the process of going from OS 9.2 to OS 10.3? I want a fresh install just like from the factory. How would I format the HD and then load OS 10.3 on the Mac? It's an iMac G3. Thanks.

- ImageX
Read the install guide.
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...tall_Setup.pdf

In particular, you will want to use the Erase and Install option.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Hey dude...if this is on that slot load iMac do not remove OS9. The system has to be 9.2.2 and the boot rom has to be 4.1.9 to install OSX. When you install OSX you are asked if you want classic..if not just install X. Unless the firmware has been upgraded DO NOT install OSX..Its called Death by Ten.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

It says "Boot ROM version: $0004.19f1". Thanks for being so concerned that I am doing this correctly. Is this the correct ROM version? Also, how do you know it's a slot loader? I never mentioned that lol. You are correct though, it is a slot load. So am I in the clear to put OS 10.3 on this thing now? Thanks.

- ImageX

QUOTE Thanks
Fodge

Fodge has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM

OMG have you really been running OS 9 all this time??!!!
If so.....wow! Good for you!
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodge View Post
OMG have you really been running OS 9 all this time??!!!
If so.....wow! Good for you!
Haha! No, I have a late '09 MBP running SL. I'm talking about an iMac G3 that I picked up for free last night that's running 9.2 and I want to upgrade it.

- ImageX

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Also, how do you know it's a slot loader? I never mentioned that lol.
- ImageX
Us old Machead know stuff.....I run OS9.1 on an 8600(G3) all the time..check email and post with it...like here..sometimes.

Im posting on a slot load iMac right now in 10.2. Camino browers.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

So do you know if I'm good to go with loading 10.3 on it now with that ROM version I posted? Let me know because I'd like to get this thing dialed in and start using it ASAP.

- ImageX

QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Bump.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
So do you know if I'm good to go with loading 10.3 on it now with that ROM version I posted? Let me know because I'd like to get this thing dialed in and start using it ASAP.

- ImageX
I would not nuke the HD..just upgrade to X. Insert the disc first..restart, hold down the C key and let the OSX installer remove the 9 stuff. It will ask you if you want to install classic(to run os9 apps) just say no and install 10.3. An os9 folder will still be on the hard drive with not much in it. Firmware mostly resides on the HD and nuking it will remove the part os OS9 you need to install X.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal Wrong Date | repair disk permission help. »