New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS Security Update won't install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hollyhippiechic

hollyhippiechic is on a distinguished road

I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 and have repeatedly tried to install Security Update 2010-005 as well as the new 2010-006... When I click on the hard drive icon in the installation process I get an error message saying:

"You cannot install Security Update 2010-005 on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I have tried both the 005 and 006 update and get this error message each time. I've never had this issue before. I've downloaded the updates from the apple website as well as from the system update application. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go to this link and download Security Update 2010-005 and do not bother with 2010-006 as you will see it is for Snow Leopard OS X.6 only. It is possible you have already installed the Leopard OS X.5.8 portion of Update 005 as it was for both Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Apple security updates
QUOTE Thanks
hollyhippiechic

hollyhippiechic is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but I've already done this and it still won't install. When I check for new updates via the Software Update app. it tells me I need the 2010-005. I try to install it and I get the error message and the installation fails. Not sure what to do from here.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Did you go to the Apple web site and NOT use Software Update?
QUOTE Thanks
roboto88

roboto88 is on a distinguished road

I am also having this problem, i tried to install the face time for my Imac and I get the message that I can not install it because I don't have Security Update 2010-005, So I downloaded the update and when I tried to install that to my hard drive I get the message "You cannot install Security Update 2010-005 on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." So I went back to apple and tried to install "Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update for iMac Mid 2010" and i get the message "this software is not supported on your system." now I'm stuck and do not know what to do and I do not like not having the Security Update 2010-005, update. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would suggest everyone with this problem head to the Apple forums to report it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jeff_io648

jeff_io648 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue. Has this been fixed yet?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac changed it preferences by itself? | Mac Download »