New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Updating Mac OS X.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

guyverehendo

guyverehendo is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I've just joined the forum after realising how much knowledge there is on here, and how little of it I have!

My first problem is updating my Mac Book Pro to OS 10.6.4 from its current version, 10.4.11. in order to be able to use Final Cut Pro Studio.

I am wondering if I will have to re-install all software when I update? I have hard copies of Microsoft Office, but am not sure I have the originals of all software - as the computer is second hand.

Any thoughts? Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I upgraded from 10.5.x to 10.6.0 when Snow Leopard came out and I didn't have to re-install any of the applications..all the incompatible applications failed to load, but that's something else..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
guyverehendo

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
guyverehendo

Things just got complicated.

I've just re-started my Mac Book Pro to upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.1.

There was a message saying the computer could not install it.

To complicate things, I've been running my Mac off an external monitor as the screen has cracked quite badly - which, although it showed the initial message, is not showing the subsequent one. Meaning I can't tell what I'm supposed to do next....

I can see enough of the message on the cracked screen to tell that's it's asking me to Restore to Backup. But I can't read anything else....

Any suggestions as to what I do now?????
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you by chance using a grey install disc? If the install disc is grey and didn't come with your machine, it won't work. You need a retail disc (such as the one here).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Oefootball70

Oefootball70 is on a distinguished road

I am dealing with the same thing, I am running 10.4.11 and I am wanting to go to snow leopard. I have a disk that is not gray, looks just like yours, but it says that I need to at least 10.5 to install this upgrade. So I am looking on here to try and see if anyone else has run into this problem. I am trying to look for a copy of tiger to uninstall it and run my snow leopard disc.... Idk, looking for help. I read on Apple's site that the only way to do it is buy the box set for 125 or whatever. But I would rather not do that.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, btw FIRST POST! lol
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Oh, you need to back up your data within 10.4, and then insert the disc into your computer. Start up the machine from the disc by holding the C key. Hold it down until the screen changes to an OS X looking screen rather than the apple logo. Probably will be a minute and a half. This will boot from the disc. Instead of continuing with the on screen installer, go to the menu bar where it says "Utilities." Open Disk Utility. Format and erase your hard disk. Should format it to HFS + (Mac OS Extended - journaled). Then go back and install mac os X from the main installer menu that you booted to. That will give you a fresh installation of Snow Leopard with no data from your previous installation. You can't archive and install from 10.4.11.
QUOTE Thanks
Oefootball70

okay cool, I will deff try that. One more thing, will I loose garage band when doing this? I head that it is possible that it will happen. And is there anyway to back up my files while doing it this way other than dragging and dropping onto my external hard drive? I appreciated that quick response, as I am trying to get everything up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Oefootball70

And I held down the "c" for ever and nothing happened. Sorry, is there more detailed instructions that I am missing that might otherwise be common knowledge???
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Did you actually read vansmith's post?
QUOTE Thanks
Oefootball70

Yeah I did, no big deal anymore guys. I did have a retail disc, did not want to work still so I bit the bullet and bought the box set. Very happy with that decision. Now running office 2010 and win7 in boot camp
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time machine giving trouble | URGENT HELP NEEDED dealing with hardrive and start up »