New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Sticky Notes transfer:

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kimberlysmoore

kimberlysmoore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro ~Snow

I have recently upgraded to 10.6.3 from 10.4.11
Little did I know that when I did a clean install I would not be able to transfer my saved Sticky Notes over to the new operating system.
My previous Sticky Notes held tons of very important info. I had them hidden on my computer and used them as a sort of password and user name recovery file; very important stuff.
I backed up my previous Sticky Notes on an external, along with everything else before the upgrade but when I tried to open them from the external today, and copy the info from them into the new Sticky Notes, I get the following error: (see attached image)
Any ideas... anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-09-19 at 8.45.54 PM.png (24.1 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Try to open the Sticky Notes that you have on the external with TextEdit instead. Then you can copy and paste. Long process but it may be the only way you can transfer the data. The error message you received is self explanatory.
QUOTE Thanks
kimberlysmoore

kimberlysmoore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro ~Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Try to open the Sticky Notes that you have on the external with TextEdit instead. Then you can copy and paste. Long process but it may be the only way you can transfer the data. The error message you received is self explanatory.
I can't seam to find the notes on the external. The app is there but I can't figure out where the crucial info is kept. Searched through Libraries, Users, etc.

How about this instead: Is there a way to transfer my passwords from the old Safari to the new machine? Where would they be located on the external, if they can even be recovered? ..and aren't they called "keychains" instead of passwords?

As of this very moment, I found a little piece of info on the external that helped me to recover a piece of info that reminded me of the password I was looking for BUT, this problem will persist if I can't transfer those Stickies over.

Thanks for your help.

If all else fails, I will find a TigerOS and get the info that way, but it sure would be nice to conquer this and be able to say, "I figured it out with the help of my Google Mommy".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing OS X 10.5 Leopard using Firewire Target Mode. | Weird font/inaccessible links »