New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBookPro no longer allows software update or iTunes store access

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

karlos2000

karlos2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985

I'm pretty sure these 2 problems are connected.
My wife's MacBookPro stopped auto updating her podcasts about 2 weeks ago.
So today I tried to update podcasts for her (I assumed she had accidentally unsubscribed or some such sillyness), when I asked to connect to the iTunes store I got the message > 'iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store an unknown occured error occured (-2094)'
But we have no network problems and she (we) are connected to the web no problem, my MacBook connects fine, our iPods and iPhones too, so clearly her MacBook has a glitch.
In order to make sure all was up to date on hers before I went off the deep end & dug further I tried the "Software update" from the Apple menu, and I got this message > 'failed to check for updates, there was a problem communicating with the web proxy server (HTTP)', then the only option is to quit the update screen.

So I assume something has broken software / connection wise on her MacBook. As I say, she connects to the web perfectly normally and connects to networks here at home & her office totally fine, web downloads work, all 'seems' well.

Her MacBook came with whatever version of OSX was the one prior to Snow Leopard (not sure myself?), but we both upgraded to Snow Leopard months ago.

Qs:
1. do we back everything up and simply reinstall the OS?
2. if so, do we use the older OS discs that came in the box, then update to Snow L afterward?
3. or (hopes!), is there a simple fix to this? or some downloadable diagnosis & fix all utility?
I've tried the disc utility and first aid repair etc, but nothing seems awry there.

all help gratefully received

I've been using Macs since 1985, this is our first OSX glitch in 10 years and I'm a bit lost, I've never had to fix an OSX issue on a Mac, they normally work hassle free!

regards

Karlos

chances are I think you are a douche.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I doubt there's anything wrong with the MBP hardware, as evidenced by successful connection to other facilities and sites. Try repairing permissions, preferably using OnyX Titanium's Software • Download.

If that doesn't clear up the anomaly, check Network settings to see if somehow a proxy has been enabled, and which is interfering. [I'm back in the age of TigerOS, I have no proxies whatever enabled.]

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
karlos2000

karlos2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985

Gold star for you Hugh

as my wife is a teacher, she has recently started using her Mac to deliver interactive whiteboard presentations. In order to enable connection to the school network a proxy server was enabled. Soon as I unchecked this we are up and working. She'll just have to turn it back on to get connected at school.

many thanks

Karlos

chances are I think you are a douche.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Prblem after eleminating windows partition | Smart Notebook 10 won't install invalid checksum »