New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing OS X 10.5 Leopard using Firewire Target Mode.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnathan1

johnathan1 is on a distinguished road

I would like to upgrade the OS on my PB G4 12" from 10.3.9 to 10.5.6, but the optical drive in the PB no longer reads DVD's for some reason...so I can't just insert the disc. I have tried connecting it to my iMac G5 2.0Ghz via firewire target disk mode, to use it's internal Superdrive, but neither computer will actually see each other in this mode. It's NOT working for some reason. Is there too much of an age/OS difference for them to communicate this way?

I have tried booting up over the network, but that doesn't work either. What would you guys suggest? I have the retail Leopard install CD.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Well in firewire target mode, the computer you booted into that mode wouldn't "see" the other computer at all. Are you sure you did it right?
How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

Also, are you sure your PowerBook meets the minimum requirements?

And finally, are you using a retail version of Leopard? If you are using the OEM version (gray discs) that came with another Mac, then it won't work… those are machine-specific. In fact, I don't think any PPC Mac shipped with Leopard, so any gray ones would have to have been for Intel Macs.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
johnathan1

Yes, my computer meets the minimum requirements, and I know that I was doing the target disc mode correctly as I've done it MANY times in the past with older macs. Won't work on this computer though for some reason. I can get both of the computers to enter target mode (separately of course, not at the same time)

The computer that it booted up and on never displays a disk image of the other computer, not even an error message. Could it be that one has Firewire 400 and one has Firewire 800 or something like that?

Target computer is a PB G4 12" 1.33Mhz, 768MB RAM, plenty of HD space available...and yes I'm using the retail version of the disc, NOT the grey version. I know this disc works on PPC computers, because I used it to upgrade my iMac G5 from Tiger with no trouble at all. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan1 View Post
Yes, my computer meets the minimum requirements, and I know that I was doing the target disc mode correctly as I've done it MANY times in the past with older macs. Won't work on this computer though for some reason. I can get both of the computers to enter target mode (separately of course, not at the same time)
I'm a bit confused here and may be misunderstanding what you meant. You are saying your Macs will enter TDM, but "separately"? You only boot the PowerBook into TDM, not both. Plug in the Firewire cable first with both fully booted normally. Then reboot ONLY the PowerBook in TDM. When done, it will mount on the iMac as an external drive.

If that is how you are doing it, then the problem "could" be a bad cable or adapter for converting the FW400 to FW800. You could try a new cable. Besides that or some hardware problem, I don't see what else it could be.

Of course… I do have one more trick up my sleeve. The instructions below "should" work for Leopard also.
Install OS X Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive | Mac Help from Maciverse

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
johnathan1

Thanks for the response! Are you saying that I need some sort of convertor for 400 -> 800? I thought I could just connect them with a 6-pin 400 Cable and it would default to 400mb/s...no?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Thanks for the response! Are you saying that I need some sort of convertor for 400 -> 800? I thought I could just connect them with a 6-pin 400 Cable and it would default to 400mb/s...no?
No. Yes, you need a converter (adapter) as lifeisabeach stated.
QUOTE Thanks
johnathan1

Ah, ok. So if I connect the two computers in this way, can I install Leopard directly to the laptop from the iMac's internal DVD drive?
QUOTE Thanks
johnathan1

Alright, according to Everymac.com...my iMac has Firewire 400, NOT 800. (The connection looks different, I thought they looked the same...I've never used FW 800 before!) So that isn't the problem. I guess I have a bad cable or something.

One question still stands, though...WILL I be able to install Leopard over firewire (400) to the powerbook G4 using the iMac's internal drive? If no, is there a work around?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
One question still stands, though...WILL I be able to install Leopard over firewire (400) to the powerbook G4 using the iMac's internal drive? If no, is there a work around?
You "should" be able to install Leopard over Firewire using the iMac's DVD drive. Hopefully your problem was just a bad cable. If not, yes, there is a workaround. I already posted it.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
johnathan1

I thought PPC macs couldn't start up from USB drives?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Umm… umm… ah…. aww shoot. I think you're right. *smacks heads*

Here's a tip that will make any external Firewire or USB drive a bootable install drive on Intel Macs. It might work with a PPC Mac, but make one change in the directions… don't use GUID Partition Table… pick Apple Partition Map.

Other option would be to get an external Firewire DVD drive.

Of course you could just replace the drive in your PowerBook. You can order one from iFixit and use their handy-dandy repair guide, if you are up to the task of doing it yourself.
PowerBook Repair - iFixit

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Ah, ok. So if I connect the two computers in this way, can I install Leopard directly to the laptop from the iMac's internal DVD drive?
Quote:
A USB drive has nothing to do with using fw tdm. Are you trying to install from the internal drive on the iMac via firewire or a USB drive?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
A USB drive has nothing to do with using fw tdm. Are you trying to install from the internal drive on the iMac via firewire or a USB drive?
His comment about USB was in reference to a tip I linked to in making a bootable USB thumb drive with an install disc imaged to it.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Ahh, didn't check that one out.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
johnathan1

Lol...I still don't have a definitive answer, guys. Any more ideas as to how I could accomplish this? Or am I in uncharted territory here?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!!! Blue Screen HELP!!! | Sticky Notes transfer: »