New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Network slow after relocating Mac Pro to new network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terremoto

terremoto is on a distinguished road

Just moved a Mac Pro to a new network (relocated from one university lab to that of another university). Network speed (and by that I mean www) was fine at the first institution. Upon moving to the new lab and connecting to the network, the network is very slow. Especially compared to the brand new Macs and new (as well as old) XP Professional machines.

When I view Networks via Finder, there are 175 items of Kind 'Neighborhood', most of which have 0 items when I click to expand them [1]. As I press the down arrow to one-by-one expand each network entry, alphabetically, I get the spinning rainbow pinwheel that "freezes" finder for about 60 seconds. This occurs at a greater rate as I move down, until finder freezes at every entry by about the 'P' entries and I'm forced to give up.

Somehow this is being translated into slowing the www traffic to a crawl. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

[1] For the sake of comparison, we have another Mac (a brand new iMac) that list 112 items of Kind 'Neighborhood' for which the network runs nice and fast.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Not sure if I will be of any help here ... but is it a possiblilty that being on a new network it is trying to do an index of the computers on the network? and afterward may be faster..?

Also another question would be is anything else slow (application loads)? I ask this because I am assuming that the machine was Physicaly moved ... was there something bumped or jarred in transport?

Have you tried the simple things of repairing permissions?

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
terremoto

terremoto is on a distinguished road

Solved it.

Under Networks there were old IP addresses and domain names under the DNS Server and Search Domains fields. Erased all entries for these fields and immediately all the lag disappeared during network/internet use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G4 OS upgrade? | OS X 10.6 Server - File Permissions won't stay »