08-24-2010, 03:00 AM #1
Once again, the old problem of emptying the trash!!!
- Member Since
- Aug 24, 2010
I have a Macbook with Mac OS X 10.5.8. Since a month ago, my trash won't empty. In fact, when I right click on trash icon in the dock and choose Empty Trash, it makes the sound and the click like it has emptied the trash; but it actually has not!
Note that I am able to empty the trash using 'rm' command in a terminal; but first, this is a pain, and second, I want to know what could have caused this problem and more importantly how I can fix it.
Please before giving any advice read the following points.
1. I don't get any error message when I try emptying the trash.
2. The problem is not with the specific files in the trash. I have tried it with many different files.
3. The files are not in use.
4. The option (alt) key won't help.
5. I check the permissions on the .trash folder and everything is fine (I have read/write permission).
6. I tried "repair permission" in disk utility and it did not help.
7. Finally remember that I can delete the files in trash using 'rm' command in a terminal, but I want to be able to empty the trash using "Empty Trash" button.
Any help would be really appreciated.
08-24-2010, 02:30 PM #2
I wonder if the system user interface encompasses Trash. I know it affects the Menu. You could try "rebuilding" the systemui plist file. I can't remember the exact name. It's in your Home/Library/Preferences Folder.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By ClarkeFace in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 2Last Post: 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM
By 29Tudor in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 3Last Post: 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
By talev in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 4Last Post: 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
By McBie in forum OS X - Apps and GamesReplies: 4Last Post: 05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
By ldj in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 9Last Post: 09-30-2004, 12:39 PM