New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Making a Fresh Time Machine Backup After Snow Leopard Upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kimber

Kimber is on a distinguished road

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Before upgrading, I made a Time Machine backup in Leopard, to my external hard drive. After a couple of days of trying out Snow Leopard and making sure all was functioning well, I ran Time Machine and added to the existing Leopard backup I already had. Time Machine seems to function fine, but my question is this -- Is it better that now I am using Snow Leopard, to format my external drive and make a fresh from scratch backup with Time Machine? My concern of course is, if I ever do need to restore my Macbook, that the current backup will work ok.

What method did you use, and what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Kimber
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you are like myself and could care less about being able to retrieve data that you've deleted from last month/year/etc and/or previous versions of files, then you can do as I did - delete the old TM backup and start over again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
If you are like myself and could care less about being able to retrieve data that you've deleted from last month/year/etc and/or previous versions of files, then you can do as I did - delete the old TM backup and start over again.
That is also what I do when I want a brand new fresh backup using Time Machine. Just delete all the old Backup data.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Plus 1 for deleting the old Backup.
Actually I take the opportunity to "format the disk" which cleans up any disk errors or permission problems.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I had no choice but to reformat my Time Capsule after I was all set up on my new iMac. The backup from the old Mac took up too much space. I actually had trouble trying to delete the old backup for that Mac.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Kimber

Kimber is on a distinguished road

Great! This is the option I was leaning toward, for peace of mind alone.

I'll make sure to format the drive and run a nice, new backup.

Thanks again!

Kimber
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I do this? | Folder Icons and ITunes »