Making a Fresh Time Machine Backup After Snow Leopard Upgrade?
    A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Before upgrading, I made a Time Machine backup in Leopard, to my external hard drive. After a couple of days of trying out Snow Leopard and making sure all was functioning well, I ran Time Machine and added to the existing Leopard backup I already had. Time Machine seems to function fine, but my question is this -- Is it better that now I am using Snow Leopard, to format my external drive and make a fresh from scratch backup with Time Machine? My concern of course is, if I ever do need to restore my Macbook, that the current backup will work ok.

What method did you use, and what do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Kimber

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If you are like myself and could care less about being able to retrieve data that you've deleted from last month/year/etc and/or previous versions of files, then you can do as I did - delete the old TM backup and start over again.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    If you are like myself and could care less about being able to retrieve data that you've deleted from last month/year/etc and/or previous versions of files, then you can do as I did - delete the old TM backup and start over again.
    That is also what I do when I want a brand new fresh backup using Time Machine. Just delete all the old Backup data.

Specs:
    21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
    Just Delete It
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Plus 1 for deleting the old Backup.
    Actually I take the opportunity to "format the disk" which cleans up any disk errors or permission problems.

DavidH

I had no choice but to reformat my Time Capsule after I was all set up on my new iMac. The backup from the old Mac took up too much space. I actually had trouble trying to delete the old backup for that Mac.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Great! This is the option I was leaning toward, for peace of mind alone.

I'll make sure to format the drive and run a nice, new backup.

Thanks again!

Kimber

Thread Information