New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Securing / restricting user access on a Mac within a Windows network?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yn2k

yn2k is on a distinguished road

How do I secure a Mac workstation for a particular user such that:

1. User can not mount USB drives or external storage (however USB is needed for other peripheral devices)

2. Have network shares that are mounted for the user, and force user to save files on those shares and not local drives.

3. Disable user from burning to CD / DVD. (I see this in parental controls, but want to make sure there is no way to bypass it)

4. Wifi / airport is disabled, and user can not reactivate. Wired connection should be available and working.

5. Disable access to specified applications (or allow access ONLY to specified applications) (I also see this in parental controls, and want to confirm there is no way for user to bypass this).

Please note, that I'm a recent convert to Mac (this year) and am still learning my way around. I'm helping someone with a project, where unfortunately, they are forced into a mixed environment because of the application server requiring Windows, and of course, cost reasons.

If you have any other links / resources / thoughts about placing a Mac on a Windows domain, please let me know.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Apple - Support - Security Configuration Guides
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerMac G5 bleeding HD space! | OS X version 10.4.11 suddenly changed to OS X »