New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Resize Finder sidebar / Get rid of "SEARCH FOR"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

elsiechw

elsiechw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, OS X 10.5.8, Intel

Whenever I open up a Finder window, it looks like this:

I can easily manually resize the sidebar, but when I open a new window it goes back to the above. Is there a way to permanently resize the sidebar to get rid of the annoying excess space?

Also, can I get rid of the "SEARCH FOR" drop down in the sidebar? I have unchecked all the "search for" options in Finder preferences, but the title still shows up.

Sorry if I'm not explaining very well! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Try this for the Finder window size,
Close all Finder windows, then open a *single* new finder window, adjust the size, column width, sidebar to your liking and close it again.
Now when you open more than one window they should be identical.

This all is because for some strange reason the Finder only saves the window layout in the window that is called "1" when you close it.
You don't see this 1, but the OS does thats why I made you close all windows and open just one.

I'm afraid you can't get rid of "Search For" title, if there is a way to get rid of it I haven't found it yet.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
elsiechw

Thank you so much! Worked like a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Just check one Search For box and give the heading a reason to be there.

I have all but one checked, and I never use any of them.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

In finder preferences>sidebar, if you uncheck everything under search for, the "search for" will be removed.
QUOTE Thanks
elsiechw

Thanks! I've unchecked all the "Search For" items in the preferences..

But the "SEARCH FOR" header still shows up. But that's alright, I'll just learn to live with it, or maybe follow toMacsh's tip.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try going back in to Finder Preferences and check one of them.
Close Finder
Then open it back up and uncheck.
See if that'll get rid of it for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
elsiechw

Ah, I've tried that and multiple variations, but to no avail. Thanks anyway though!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you really want to get rid of it, the next option is going to be deleting the Finder preferences file.

That would be found in your users home folder under Library / Preferences / com.apple.finder.plist

Move that file to the desktop, then log out and back in. This is going to reset the Finder back to default and it will create a new file on it's own. Give it a go again.

You can then drag the one on the desktop to the trash or back where it came from.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

I unchecked all of mine. Heading's still there.

OS 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I unchecked all of mine. Heading's still there.

OS 10.5.8
Now we get down to it. Just booted up into my test Leopard system.
It appears that in 10.5 the heading remains, while in 10.6 the heading goes once the last item is unchecked.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Yep. There really are differences. That's why when posting a question, it's always a good idea to provide the OS version, and, sometimes it's also a must when posting an answer in order to have clear communication.
QUOTE Thanks
Penguinchap

Penguinchap is on a distinguished road

McYukon,

Many thanks for the information on setting the sidebar's width.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion keeps zooming! grrrr | Cannot open .eu website »