New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wakes up during "sleep"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tadd5181

tadd5181 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X v. 10.6.5

My iMac wakes up with a screen saver after a few moments or minutes even though I put it to "sleep". How do I keep it asleep without the screen saver coming on?
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Keep pets off the keyboard? ;-)

Is it always the sam interval or pretty much random? Any activity with your keyboard or mouse will bring it back from sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

No, that is not the cause, but thanks for the suggestion.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Well there are 2 more things I can think of ... look under Energy Saver, there is a checkbox Wake for network activity (or something like that) - keep it unchecked.
Also check your scheduler in the same preference panel if you have any wake-up calls set.

Oh yes, and bluetooth, under advanced there is an option to allow bluetooth to wake up your computer
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

I found the solution. Apple>system prefs>screen saver...this has a "never" setting.
QUOTE Thanks
Slrman

Slrman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM

I have the same problem on my 2.66 GHz iMac. It has happened on every version of OSX from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8

I have Wake on Network off, and Allow Bluetooth to Wake off. This has happened with an Apple Mouse, a CH products trackball, a generic mouse,and now the Apple Magic Trackpad. It has also happened with the Apple wired keyboard and a generic wired keyboard.

I now have SafeSleepOnce installed and it happens using that, too. That is supposed to be a "hibernate function but the system often wakes from that, too. Sometimes it will happen two or three times in a row. Always withing a couple of minutes of sleep or hibernate.

I don't care to turn my screen saver off. If that is the problem, then Apple needs to fix a bug in the routine. In any case, the screen saver isn't supposed to come on for 11 minutes and it always happens sooner than that.

Apple seems to be focused on the "User Experience" but they clearly don't care about this. Has Jobs and company become to arrogant in big to worry about this? I'm ready to switch to Linux. Windows 7 is an option, too.

If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they do not want to hear.
Se a liberdade significa qualquer coisa de todo, a liberdade para dizer a outro o que no quer se ouvir.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

LOL pleased to have got that lot off your chest? Have you tried what tadd suggested?

Any external HDD or peripherals connected?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Key chain probs after Snow Leopard upgrade | iMac G4 Help Needed! »